brick cuts for the pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brick cuts for the pompeii

hi i have my base built for my 36" pompeii high dome but i noticed from the plans on here the bricks are just cut in half and not tapered but on browsing the forum i notice that most people have tapered the bricks to what a presume is to have pretty much a dry joint on the front and sides only requiring a smaller amount of mortar on the back of the dome is there a template for the size of taper the bricks available any advice is greatly appreciated

Deejayoh developed this Excel calculator - attached link. I was one who had to have precise cuts front to back and it took a lot of time and energy. If I were to build another oven again, I would only make sure the internal joints of the dome were nice and tight and seamless, letting mortar fill the back side which gets covered up. You will need to bevel or/or taper most likely but only focus on the front or inside of the dome face areas.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...ulator?t=18131

Click image for larger version

Name:	anglebevel.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	381280
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 09-22-2015, 05:00 PM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell,
      Here is a brick cutting jig that Dazag12 may be interested in .

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

yes tapering the bricks do look nice. I just used the 1/2 brick and filled in the back with mortar.

Comment

Just as a note I did my first few rows with angles then as I went I just beveled them for a nice fit inside the oven. It takes a lot less time than angle and bevel and it is just as structural sound.

Randy

Comment

hi how do you know what height to set the jig for the bevel is there a set height to stick to

Comment

I just used little brick shims to get all my cuts. I just kinda winged it and would cut a few see how they fit and if I liked it then cut the whole row. Maby not the best idea, but it worked for me.

Randy

Comment

Working...
              X