Equipment needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment needed?

I'm having a new outdoor Forno Bravo oven installed as we speak, and I just got the go-ahead from the contractor that I can start making some pizza! I've made plenty of pizza in an indoor oven, but am new to fire-oven pizza making. What stuff do I need to get? Obviously a pizza peel. Or two? Any recommendations for a peel? I'd like something I can hang on the outside of the oven if possible. So it would need to be able to withstand the elements. What else? I've seen those screen-type pizza stones so you don't have to worry about the pizza sticking to he floor of the oven. Should I get that?

And is there a newbies fuide to making pizza with the Forno Bravo? I'd think it would be a sticky in this section of the site, but apparently not....

Thanks!

- Dave

Hi Dave,

There is a sticky posting in the Newbie section with some information and a video to get you started:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...od-fired-pizza

I'm sure there are members who have great advice for you, too!

Mitch
    Forno Bravo

Comment

OOPS! Correction - it's in Wood-fired Oven and Cooking Videos!
      Forno Bravo

Comment

Thanks. And if anyone knows of any written guides, or have advice on a peel - please let me know!

Comment

You won't need the screen. Cook the pizza right on the brick. If you make a mess, the intense heat will (self clean) take care of the mess.

Comment

You'll need pizza making tools also.

Comment

What pizza making tools will I need? I can't tell what looking at in that picture, other than the peel. And how long a handle for the peel?

Comment

Lengths will vary depending on the size of your oven, the depth of your entry, and what is comfortable for you. But, here is a good discussion from 2012. There are some great pics of different oven tools in it. Some were bought from the Forno Bravo Store, and some of them pictured in the in the discussion were home made.

EDIT: In time, you may want to make some kind of rake for moving coals and ashes around in your oven. Here is one discussion on oven rakes.
                Last edited by Gulf; 09-27-2015, 07:06 AM.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks! That link was very informative.

And is there a manual, book or web guide that covers everything I need to know in general to use and make pizza in a wood fired oven? I know I can learn a lot by poking around in this forum, but that can get kind of tedious, especially when I don't know what I don't know, so am not sure what I should be looking for. For example, I just stumbled across the fact that I should "cure" my oven before making pizza in it.

Comment

A good place to start is the e-book section of the Forno Bravo site, the Pompeii Plans which are free is a good base line for building an oven, there are also several ebooks on various WFO cooking processes at a nominal cost of $3. You will just have to root around on the FB shop site and the forum, there is really no "one stop" source but rather many and you need to chose the best of each.

As far a tools, I only use three, a wood loading peel, a small (10") steel turning peel, a old fashion garden hole to move coals and ash around. I have other tools but just don't use them.

https://www.fornobravo.com/product-c...ooks-learning/
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Ok, thanks. I don't need to know anything about building an oven - I'm having a contractor do that. But the pizza making e-book looks useful. If anyone else knows of a good information source (not necessarily on this site) - please let me know!

(On an unrelated note, I checked "subscribe" at the top of this page to be notified when people update this thread, but I don't get emails when updates are made. Is that a known problem?)

Comment

Click on the drop down box by your avatar and name in the top right hand corner of the page. Then User Settings/Notifications. Make sure those boxes are checked correctly. If they are, it should be automatic for you to receive and email notification for any reply to a thread that you have started or have replied to.

Edit: You may also have to make sure that your email is not kicking them out as junk.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yes, I have the settings correct in user settings. And the emails are not getting marked as junk. I also just bought the wfo ebook, and nothing happened. It redirected to a page that said "page not found".

Comment

If the Email Notifications box is set to On, (there are daily, weekly, and off options) and your email account for Forno Bravo is set up to the correct email account, I'm at a loss for ideas.

Comment

On the broken link for the ebook, try sending an email to Forno Bravo through the Contact Us link at the bottom. If there is a problem with their Store links, I'm sure that they would want to fix that pretty soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X