Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caulk or Mortar between granite countertop and masonry face?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caulk or Mortar between granite countertop and masonry face?

I installed a granite countertop that butts up against the thin outer brick of the wood fired oven. There is a small gap (about 1/4") above the granite countertop and below the thin brick. I initially used high temperature silicone for this joint, but it was not aesthetic and detracted from the look of the oven. I removed the silicone, and am considering using mortar for this gap. This will match the mortar used on the bricks and hopefully look nice.

Are there any concerns with this idea? I am not planning on putting mortar between the oven floor and the granite countertop. I'll fill that small crack with ashes, as I've read many on the forum recommend. The area where I need to fill is above the countertop and below the face brick. This is to the left and the right of the oven opening.

Thanks!

I would fill it with mortar. I would also fill the gap between the oven and the counter with mortar - as the ash in a WFO is so fine and light that it doesn't really like to stay in place. I think you'll want a more permanent solution at the front of your oven
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

deejayoh,

Thanks for for your reply! I was a little concerned about using mortar because of possible uneven expansion of the granite due to heat. The counter right in front of the entry can get quite hot, but the granite on the sides remains cool.

I like the idea of using mortar, and think I will now fill in the gap in front of the entry as well. I've been building my oven for 7 months and this is the last task! I'm glad to finally finish. It was a lot of work but so worth the effort. I hope to post a photo gallery of build pictures this week.

Rob

Comment

Working...
      X