Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need advice regarding what oven size would be best for our family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice regarding what oven size would be best for our family.

I am a complete newbie to all of this. I'd like to build a Pompeii oven and I have downloaded the plans. In the plans is says this regarding choosing between the oven size of 36" vs 42":

"If you have the space and budget, we recommend building
    the larger oven. The larger oven gives you the most
    flexibility, can be easier to use, and does not stop you
    from cooking smaller amounts of food. Remember that
    while you can cook less in a larger oven, you cannot cook
    more in a smaller oven.

I have room to build the larger 42" oven. But I wanted to check to see if it does in fact make the most sense in my particular case. We are a family of 4. Even when we entertain, I rarely cook for more than a dozen people.

We would be looking for an oven to cook a wide variety of things rather than just pizza. I'd like to use the oven often, like I do now with my grill. I'm a guy who uses a grill year-round in all weather (even in the coldest months of winter). I'd like to do the same with a wood oven too, if it's not a super long hassle to get cooking. I could see me using it after work, just relaxing as I putter around with it. I love to cook outside.

1. Is there much difference in time to fire up the 42" oven versus the 36"? Or are they about the same? Would a 36" be a better match for my situation?
    2. Is there much difference in the amount of wood used between the two sizes? Or are they about the same?

I was thinking of building the high-vault Tuscan oven either way. But regarding the oven size, I'm unsure of what would be the best choice for us. Thank you VERY much in advance for any advice you can give me.

Did I post this in the wrong thread (or ask a dumb question)? Or is there a better (more active) message board for wood fired oven DIY people? Thanks again for any help. I'm looking for a forum that can help newbies get started. I was hoping this messageboard would be a good source.

Comment

Sorry JAB99,

We've had some missing posts the past couple of days. Imo aside from available space and building materials, deciding on an oven size boils down to just two things. What is considered the oven's primary use and the availability of wood (It does take a little more wood to saturate a larger oven). Since you mentioned ony pizza, the smaller oven may be the perfect size oven for you. I built my oven considering that I like cooking for large gatherings of extended family and friends. There have been up to six combinations of dutch ovens, roasting, and broiler pans inside it at once. I also like baking a large amount of bread from time to time. And, I am blessed to live in an area where wood is free. That is, if I cut and/or gather it myself.

To me, pizza is just an added perk for building a wood fired oven. Had that been it's only intended use, I would have been fine with a smaller oven .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        Sorry JAB99,

We've had some missing posts the past couple of days. Imo aside from available space and building materials, deciding on an oven size boils down to just two things. What is considered the oven's primary use and the availability of wood (It does take a little more wood to saturate a larger oven). Since you mentioned ony pizza, the smaller oven may be the perfect size oven for you. I built my oven considering that I like cooking for large gatherings of extended family and friends. There have been up to six combinations of dutch ovens, roasting, and broiler pans inside it at once. I also like baking a large amount of bread from time to time. And, I am blessed to live in an area where wood is free. That is, if I cut and/or gather it myself.

To me, pizza is just an added perk for building a wood fired oven. Had that been it's only intended use, I would have been fine with a smaller oven .

Actually, I do plan on using the oven for an all-around oven (not just pizza). But your post was very helpful, and the photo helped too, because I do plan on cooking with cast iron often, and the photo gave me an general idea of the room needed to do that. Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Glad to have you aboard JAB99! As with Gulf, my oven has been used mostly for things other than pizza. IMHO being able to put in a full sheet pan of Biscotti or cookies is reason enough to build something >36" . You'll also find that having a bit more room on the hearth is handy if you need to move loaves of bread or other bake items around during a bake.

We did a crown roast & a 21# turkey a couple of years ago and having the extra space of my 39" oven was really nice as I turned and worked the pans. I've included a before and after pic of the turkey/crown roast bake and of a full sheet pan of Biscotti just after the first cut bake and in the oven on an inverted half sheet. One thing for sure is that you'll love whatever you bake in the oven...just make sure any pots or pans you plan to use can not only take the heat, but will fit through the door.

Again as Gulf noted, wood, wood storage, and easy access to the oven (from both the kitchen & the wood shed) should be considerations during the planning of any size oven.
          Last edited by SableSprings; 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was in a similar quandary as you when I was laying out my oven. I decided like many others to split the difference and go with a 39" oven. Have not finished yet but am hoping the compromise size will be the sweet spot. 39 inches worked out well in terms of using insulation board (oven OD is 48") and a few of the other dimensions worked out well too. If you go with a 39, just average the FornoBravo dimensions for 36 and 42
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
              Glad to have you aboard JAB99! As with Gulf, my oven has been used mostly for things other than pizza. IMHO being able to put in a full sheet pan of Biscotti or cookies is reason enough to build something >36" . You'll also find that having a bit more room on the hearth is handy if you need to move loaves of bread or other bake items around during a bake.

We did a crown roast & a 21# turkey a couple of years ago and having the extra space of my 39" oven was really nice as I turned and worked the pans. I've included a before and after pic of the turkey/crown roast bake and of a full sheet pan of Biscotti just after the first cut bake and in the oven on an inverted half sheet. One thing for sure is that you'll love whatever you bake in the oven...just make sure any pots or pans you plan to use can not only take the heat, but will fit through the door.

Again as Gulf noted, wood, wood storage, and easy access to the oven (from both the kitchen & the wood shed) should be considerations during the planning of any size oven.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread. I changed my mind after reading the responses (and also the photo's were very helpful too). Instead of a 36" oven, I am going to build the 42" now. I do like to cook with cast iron dutch ovens, skillets (and a large cast iron griddle). I would also like the option of cooking large items like turkeys. I have been reading this forum for a few days now - it is a gold mine of helpful information. Thanks again for helping me out.

Comment

Working...
              X