Size of front landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of front landing

I just finished the stand or should I say the Mexican craftsmen did. Getting ready to install the Casa 2G 100 and could use some help deciding the size of the landing in front of the oven. It is a corner build. Sorry I don't know how to post a photo yet. Merry Christmas to all.

Jack, I did a forum search and found 609 entries relating to landing size - copy and paste below into your search engine. Your landing will need to be somewhere between long enough to accommodate your vent plus any heat break, and short enough to allow your completed oven to fit on your stand and not be so long that you can't reach into it. I think most folks make it between 1.5 and 2 brick lengths long, but I recommend reading some posts and seeing what went behind their decisions.
    Figuring out your hearth length is something best done before you build your hearth, so you don't have to add an extension like some builders have been forced to do - you might want to do a quick layout and see how much room you do have based on the planned outside diameter of your oven and the size of your hearth - that would be a good first step unless you have already done it.

landing size fornobravo site:fornobravo.com
    Last edited by JRPizza; 12-24-2015, 11:42 AM.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Here are some definitions from the Forno Bravo Pizza Oven Glossary.

Landing

Your pizza oven has two landing areas. The smaller space directly in front of the oven door and below the Vent, called the Vent Landing, and a larger area at the front of the oven, called the Oven Landing. The Vent Landing is included with all Forno Bravo pizza ovens.

Oven Landing

The area in front of our oven where you place food going in and out of the oven. Often the size and material of the Oven Landing is up to the design of the owner, and ranges between 4″ and 24″.

Vent Landing

The small landing directly in front of the Oven Opening.
      I think that you are referring to the oven landing since your Forno Bravo oven already has a complete vent landing. As you read above it is entirely up to you and your prefernces. A large oven landing is great for staging food in and out of the oven. But, a large oven landing will make the oven a little more difficult to work because of the increased reach. I sort of struck a happy medium by building a short oven landing with wide wings. The concave portion allows me to stand a little closer to the oven. The wings are a quick place to slide a pot, pan or a pizza.

As JR said, it would be a good idea to make a quick layout and see exactly what you have for the oven to sit. JR will agree that I am a fan of lifesize templates. You can make one real easy by taping some poster board together. Layout the ID and OD of your oven's footprint. Cut away everything outside of your ovens OD. You can then place it on the stand to see what room you have left to work with. You can also practice with your pizza peel and some pots or pans to get a feel for what you think would be a comfortable sized oven landing.

I hope this helps .

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well, I hadn't thought about the vent landing coming with the kit - that is why I'm an apprentice and Gulf is a member-moderator
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Jack,

To attach a photo to a post, in the upper left corner of the post box where you write there is a camera icon. Click on it and you can attach a photo from a file directory from your computer where you store your pics.

As far as the landing depth in front of your oven, it is really a personal choice but it is nice to have a depth usable enough to place various cooking items. At least for me, I use the side of the oven for dishes, seasonings, kind of a staging area, etc. The front of the oven to bring out hot dishes and pizza since pies are going in and out in quick successsion. Each to their own.

JR,

We are all apprentices in one way or another. No harm, no foul.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
            Well, I hadn't thought about the vent landing coming with the kit - that is why I'm an apprentice and Gulf is a member-moderator
            JR,

To be honest, I had to look the Casa 2G 100 up to be sure. You and I are both brick and mortar builders. When you think in those terms it is sometimes difficult to imagine how easy Forno Bravo has engineered their ovens to install (insert brownie points emoticon here ) And, by the way, you are only 51 posts from Journeyman .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the responses, yes I was referring to the oven landing. I'll try to post a picture of the stand.

Comment

I can easily see where referring to areas in front of an oven as two different names can be confusing and on a personal level, find it all a bit silly. It's a landing area. If the areas are in some way separated or on different levels, I can see the point, but most are not done that way. Everyone can make it and call it what they like. It's still a landing area. As for some people having to build an extension, sometimes it's by design and pre-planned. All future ovens I build (I have two to build this coming spring/summer, maybe three) will always have a hearth slab extension planned. To me, it's the way to go. It is a very good idea to have it all figured out ahead of time, that much I agree with.
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

If you need to or want to add a lip on the front of the oven you could do it simular to how I did mine. I used 4- 3\8" drop in anchors. (Each is rated for 2800#) I used 5 " carriage bolts that I jam nutted in to place so they were per tensioned and then tie wired my rebar to them. It gave me a nice solid place to build my vent as a lip in front of the oven to set things. I am very happy with it and know it is strong. I stood on it when building my enclosure.

Randy

Comment

I'm also buying a casa and have been wrestling with the size of the oven landing. My oven is going to be part of a long counter. So I will have a ton of counterspace immediately adjacent to the oven. I'm reading that the landing is useful for prep and placing pizzas but if I have counterspace available for that does that render the landing superfluous? Or is the landing still useful or necessary in some way?

Comment

You need someplace to set your beer that is close but out of the way don't you? ;o)

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                        You need someplace to set your beer that is close but out of the way don't you? ;o)

Randy

Just read a little about your build and your heat retention is impressive! I'm definitely going with 4" of board under my oven like you did. I'm going to copy your door too!

Comment

Copy away. That is why I documented my build process. I would also recommend that you put a layer of patio blocks or bricks as it allows for drainage if the insulation gets wet and I think it might also act as a heat break to help reduce heat transfer front the oven floor, as I have no heat showing up under the oven. If you have any questions just ask. We will all do what we can to answer them.

Randy

Comment

So I would have concrete, then bricks, then the insulating board? Are the bricks just placed down loose?

Comment

Yes that is what I did. The paver stones I used were 8"x16" and I think 1.625" thick. They were dry set with no sand but if your stand was real unleaval or even then you could use sand to smooth things out. I know that gulf recommends that people put a vapor barrier down. So you should do that first. So concrete, plastic vapor barrier, paver stones, insulation, and finally fire bricks. Have you started building your stand yet? Or are you just in the planning stages right now.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X