chimney size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney size

Ok just trying to get materials together before I do the build .I have access to an 8" stainless steel is there a calcuated length it wants to be to provide a good draught . will be fabricating a cowl for the top too is the standard "chinamans hat " type ok .
    oven type brick pompeii aprox 32" internal (may change slightly)

Oven floor the bricks I am looking at are standard size (like housebricks) can get thinner ones would these be better or worse for the floor?

Building the dome anyone give me a rough idea how many bricks are needed .

Cheers Myke

In my humble opinion...8" is plenty diameter. I would shoot for 3 feet long, more is better, but you don't need a 20' stack. The pointed hat works fine for a cap, you can do a bunch of things with time and imagination. I think you will be happier with the thicker brick which will give you more mass to cook with. If you just want fast response, you can go with the thin brick (we call them splits) but I would say that most builds have a 2.5" floor thickness.

32" pompeii will take about 100 brick for the dome, depending on how close you cut the brick and how many mistakes you make. 100 should do you as you will get 2 halves out of each one. Might need a few more for the vent. Your mileage may vary, it never hurts to have a few extra. I just looked at pics of my 32" build and the first course has 22 half brick laid as a stretcher (I think the proper term for a half stretcher is a Bat or half Bat but that isn't important.) In theory each chain up would have the same amount of brick, but a bit smaller each course up. It doesn't happen that way all the time, it really depends on how much time at the saw you want to spend. Personally I say less with the saw and more with the paw.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Myke -
      Take a look in the tools and techniques forum - I posted a spreadsheet there that will help you calculate the number of bricks you need for your build
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
        In my humble opinion...8" is plenty diameter. I would shoot for 3 feet long, more is better, but you don't need a 20' stack. The pointed hat works fine for a cap, you can do a bunch of things with time and imagination. I think you will be happier with the thicker brick which will give you more mass to cook with. If you just want fast response, you can go with the thin brick (we call them splits) but I would say that most builds have a 2.5" floor thickness.

32" pompeii will take about 100 brick for the dome, depending on how close you cut the brick and how many mistakes you make. 100 should do you as you will get 2 halves out of each one. Might need a few more for the vent. Your mileage may vary, it never hurts to have a few extra. I just looked at pics of my 32" build and the first course has 22 half brick laid as a stretcher (I think the proper term for a half stretcher is a Bat or half Bat but that isn't important.) In theory each chain up would have the same amount of brick, but a bit smaller each course up. It doesn't happen that way all the time, it really depends on how much time at the saw you want to spend. Personally I say less with the saw and more with the paw.

Excelent I have a long lenght of the 8" chimney on stock so will crack on and fabricate the pointed hat for it (too wet to do anything in my garden its rained solid the last few days)
        cheers for the advice on bricks will give the "slips" a miss then.
        Can see what you mean by by having the layers with joints not overlapping (you would idealy have the same number of bricks on each course but smaller) but in practice you would have loads more cuts and very small bricks as you go up.
        Cheers Myke

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
          Myke -
          Take a look in the tools and techniques forum - I posted a spreadsheet there that will help you calculate the number of bricks you need for your build

Will have a look thanks

Cheers myke

Comment

Working...
          X