Slight slope hearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight slope hearth

I am laying the floor for my oven and there is a slight slopen in the middle of the hearth. I have tried evening it up with more sand just doesn't seem to work. Any ideas or thoughts? Will this be a problem if left this way? Uneven cooking? Thanks in advance

You will want to get the serface as flat as possible. Did you do the sand and fire clay mixture? Also what do you have under the oven for insulation? Just trying to figure out what is causing the issue. If you do through sand and fire clay it is equal parts of both then add water to a peanut butter consistency and apply with a notched trowel like tiling.

Randy

Comment

[QUOTE=RandyJ;n386962]"You will want to get the serface as flat as possible. Did you do the sand and fire clay mixture? Also what do you have under the oven for insulation? Just trying to figure out what is causing the issue. If you do through sand and fire clay it is equal parts of both then add water to a peanut butter consistency and apply with a notched trowel like tiling. "

I like to slope the supporting slab so it has a slight hump in the middle. This prevents, to some extent, water pooling under the insulation and encouraging it to drain to the outside. Also I prefer keeping the sand/clay mixture dry rather than wet because it makes any floor brick more easily removable if it needs replacing down the track. A wet sand/clay mix is like mortar and makes any brick removal very difficult.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You do have a good point there David. I was just thinking that if he was having trouble that might help to level the floor a little more easily with the wet version.

Randy

Comment

Working...
        X