Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your help!

Hi.

I'm a midwife (with no building experience) who - along with my husband - built a lovely wood fired pizza oven last winter here in Tasmania, Australia.

I was unable to find a simple to follow 'How to build your very own wood fired pizza oven' type ebook when I was doing my (quite extensive) research before planning and then building the oven. Anyhow, I am planning to now write an ebook for building novices to build their own oven. I am wondering if I might ask for some help from this amazing community please.

For newbies, I am wanting to know your most pressing questions regarding building your very own pizza oven. Or what is the biggest reason you've been putting it off? Or might stop other people building one? Maybe thinking one is not capable/doesn't have skills? Don't have the time? Too expensive?

And for those experienced pizza oven builders, do you remember what you found most difficult about building your own pizza oven from scratch? Or what would you especially like included in an ebook?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Anna

The difficulty is that there are so many ways to build an oven. Designs and materials used can vary enormously and still end up with an oven that works. Build in bricks, cob,or cast in home brew or proprietary castable. Kit or do everything yourself? There are advantages and disadvantages all over the shop. How much people are willing to spend and how much labour they're willing to give the project.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I would agree with David. The Forno Bravo e book plans just start to scratch the serface of how to build a oven, and that is just for the standard brick Pompeii oven. Now if you go into kits, cob, cast, low dome, high dome, barrel vault and I am sure there are more options than that. Then you have the different styles of door arch and different vents different heat breaks. Then of course the different materials you can find in different parts of the world. And of course you would also need to deal with cost. There have been some who have built for under 1000$ and I am sure some have gone to 20,000$ and beyond. The truth is all this info is already prepared and presented here on this forum for all to see, and best of all it is free. If you read through a number of build threads you will find several ways to solve the same problem because everyone sees problems different. Then from time to time someone invents an stunning new and improved way to do something. So I don't know how you would even begin to cover this all in a book. That is my thoughts

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        The difficulty is that there are so many ways to build an oven. Designs and materials used can vary enormously and still end up with an oven that works. Build in bricks, cob,or cast in home brew or proprietary castable. Kit or do everything yourself? There are advantages and disadvantages all over the shop. How much people are willing to spend and how much labour they're willing to give the project.
        Thanks David S. Good Point and a difficulty we had when choosing which way to go with our pizza oven. Sometimes too much choice just makes it confusing ayy. I think I will mention the various other ways to go about things, but then concentrate on what we did. Ie a DIY, fire brick, Pompeii style, not-too-expensive pizza oven.

Thanks so much for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
          I would agree with David. The Forno Bravo e book plans just start to scratch the serface of how to build a oven, and that is just for the standard brick Pompeii oven. Now if you go into kits, cob, cast, low dome, high dome, barrel vault and I am sure there are more options than that. Then you have the different styles of door arch and different vents different heat breaks. Then of course the different materials you can find in different parts of the world. And of course you would also need to deal with cost. There have been some who have built for under 1000$ and I am sure some have gone to 20,000$ and beyond. The truth is all this info is already prepared and presented here on this forum for all to see, and best of all it is free. If you read through a number of build threads you will find several ways to solve the same problem because everyone sees problems different. Then from time to time someone invents an stunning new and improved way to do something. So I don't know how you would even begin to cover this all in a book. That is my thoughts

Randy
          Thanks for your post RandyJ. Again, all we can do is go through in detail how we did ours. I suppose people will only get any value from the book if they want to build one just like ours! We think it might appeal to people who perhaps are overwhelmed by all the choice, and want a simple step by step guide.to building their own backyard pizza oven.

Thanks again so much for your input.

Anyone else with any suggestions also, please let me know!!

Comment

Working...
          X