Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof for existing modular oven?

Hi all,

I'm new to the fornobravo forum but a member of the uk wood fired oven forum. One of the folks from there suggested I check out this forum - so much info! I'll be spending a fair bit of time on this forum I can tell.

I've looked through using certain search terms (shelter, roof etc), but can't find quite what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone can help.

I've built a pizza oven with a Stonebake modular oven as the base. Picture 1 - no laughing, I'm no builder

However a couple of things...

1) The vermiculite / render has cracked slightly with the heat. Won't affect the oven but means I have to cover it in tarp when not using and this looks rubbish.
    2) Which also means I can't use it in the rain!

So I'd like to build a shelter over it so it can be used all year round.

Originally I wanted a cantilever shelter (picture 2) but have since been convinced that this wouldn't be possible because of the forces on the structure (the pic above is a pergola without a solid roof. Adding a roof would mean more force from wind, weight of snow etc in the winter).

So it's looking to be something like the final photo attached (pic 3 - dark brown wood). The problem is I don't know a thing about building / construction, so not sure of the best materials to use for the roof, how to put the flue through it and to seal it. I know I'll need a twin wall adapter to go to the roof, but that's about it.

Has anyone here done something similar? If so any info / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Jon

Posts are restricted until the initial one has been reviewed for spam issues. Your post is now approved for the forum to comment.

Attached is a link to a gallery of oven pictures by our host Forno Bravo. There are hundreds of ovens shown and maybe you might see a shelter that will meet your needs.

https://www.fornobravo.com/pizza-oven-gallery/
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Jon, I am building a 14 by 16 foot "shelter" over my oven to keep it dry in the rain and to provide an area for eating, food prep, and hopefully a wide screen TV . There are quite a few builds with roofs over their ovens, but not too many with the kind of area I was looking for. The Dragonfly Den was one of the ones that provided some detail, and Mike has posted quite a bit of information via his build thread and picture album. You should be able to find his oven with a forum search for Dragonfly Den or SableSprings.
      We had wanted to build a low slope flat structure, and put the supports into the concrete before we built the oven. Was originally planning to use twinwall polycarbonate plastic for the roof, but since abandoned that idea due to concerns with heat and how to flash the chimney through the see through material. I looked into some kind of membrane coating for the roof, but wanted something DIY so am planning on using metal. Attached is a picture of my structure with some 2X6 rafters laid out to check spacing. We have stained the rafters and are waiting to get some plywood stained to go over them and under the metal. Had wanted to have an open metal structure (rafters and purlins) but decided to use ply decking due to moisture/condensation concerns and wanting the roof to be a little more structural. I am really learning this as I go, but maybe you can learn from any mistakes I make.
      You can check out my build thread as I will be updating it in the future as I work on my roof. If you look at my post #4 you can see the sketch I started with, and the basic shelter I put up before I started the oven. I replaced the pressure treated 2x4 rafters in the earlier picture with 2x6 boards for strength and to go with a higher quality wood.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Now that is EXACTLY what I am looking for thanks! I'm pretty much where you were when deciding what wood to use. I'd not thought of going for 2x6. Did you replace the 2x4 because you had an issue? or just to prevent potential issues in the future?

I'm still trying to decide what roof to use, currently looking like chipboard with a felt type roof but I'm not sure yet. I might use shiplap wood instead.

Will cut down my single wall flue to the minimum and use twin wall through the roof of the shelter, followed by something like this http://old.fluesupplies.com/product_...oducts_id=1233 - rubber flashing for the top. It's good for up to 250c so I can't see the twin wall getting that hot.

Now just need to work out how to bolt it all together

Comment

Jon, the 2x4s I started with were pressure treated wood, which folks tell me are generally poor quality cuts of wood to start with, and they are sold green/wet with the preservative and tend to warp when they dry out, especially long ones like I am using. Mine warped horribly - some with bends, some with twists, and I noticed they had quite a bit of knots and defects. I guess they figure if you are using them for ground contact you probably won't care? My span is roughly 12 feet, and I got to thinking if I am up on the roof fiddling with my chimney or fixing a leak, a 6" tall board is going to have lower stresses for a given load than a 4" tall one. Not really knowing what I need for the application I just decided to go for something more stout. If you go with a shorter span you might be able to use 2X4s, but my 14' 2x6s were less than 10$ a piece so for me the cost was not an issue.
          I am looking at the same type of flashing as you are. My concern right now is there is a little "give" in the structure, and I don't want my chimney to try to prevent movement in the roof.
          I'm also going to put 2 sides up on the south and west side to prevent most of the bad weather that comes in during the winter. If my hearth slab gets wet enough the water will get into my oven. Have you thought about putting up some sides?
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Ah that makes sense. My shelter will be 9 ft x 6 ft so the rafters will span the 6fy. Might upgrade to 2x6 as a precaution like you.

I had thought of sides but cost will probably prevent for now... I'd not realised how much flue components were!

I'll keep an eye on your post for updates, and I might try and get mine done in the next 2 weeks as we FINALLY seem to be getting some sun in the UK!

Comment

Working...
            X