Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

started my build and have some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dry mixed my first few large batches of mortar in my cement mixer (sticking to the sides is not an issue dry), then switched to using a paint stirrer like you plan and a gear reduced half inch drill for the wet stuff and the remainder of the dry mix to complete the dome and vent. This seemed to work well for me as I was working alone and pretty much could only finish a course a day. I switched back to the big mixer to dry mix my stucco, as you use lots of that fast, but still did the wet mix with the stirrer and drill.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
      I dry mixed my first few large batches of mortar in my cement mixer (sticking to the sides is not an issue dry), then switched to using a paint stirrer like you plan and a gear reduced half inch drill for the wet stuff and the remainder of the dry mix to complete the dome and vent. This seemed to work well for me as I was working alone and pretty much could only finish a course a day. I switched back to the big mixer to dry mix my stucco, as you use lots of that fast, but still did the wet mix with the stirrer and drill.
      Yep that sounds like a good idea.

yes stucco i would normally mix in a mixer. similar mix but the fire clay makes it stickier if you know what i mean

thanks for the advise

Comment

I had an interesting day yesterday, started my first row of the dome and realized that I've truck the jig and got an angle backwards, the permanent angle is backwards on the jig, easy fixed and glad I work it out now where it's not that great of an angle.

In the mist of laying the coarse the wind picked up and blow over my beehive o my shed roof. Luckily a friend just turned up and he had just finished inspecting his hives and had is suit in the car. So up he went.

Comment

autumncs, good catch on your brick cutting. I would recommend taking a wet sponge and cleaning the excess mortar off the bricks/joints as you go on the interior. it looks like you've done it on your entryway bricks. much easier to do as you go before the mortar hardens.
          George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
            autumncs, good catch on your brick cutting. I would recommend taking a wet sponge and cleaning the excess mortar off the bricks/joints as you go on the interior. it looks like you've done it on your entryway bricks. much easier to do as you go before the mortar hardens.
            Thanks yes I have been doing that along the way. this was taken in between laying and cleaning up.

Comment

I simplified the jig today. lol. And the wedge after a couple of cuts stuck to the tabletop due to the water and dust.

Worked out with just changing the back angle I can get the 3 cuts needed to get the 2 bricks. Made a couple of wrong cuts however they are on the back face of the bricks.

Only had about 1.5 hours and was able to cut most of the next row.

Comment

Finally finished the inside dome and had some long days with late nights. Letting the oven air curer at the moment and will start the fire curing soon.

Under lights not the best but had to get it done.

I have a question my last 2 rows and the keystone I didn't get enough mortar inside the dome should I fill by hand or leave it?

Comment

Working...
                X