Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to use Fireclay in my mortar for the dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to use Fireclay in my mortar for the dome?

Hi all, I am building a barrel oven, and following some builds from this forum and others. Everything's going great, except one issue: I can't source fireclay cheaply. Do I need it in my refractory mortar? I am planning to use lime, sand and cement, will that suffice? What exactly are the benefits of fireclay? Isn't the lime which binds it together? Cheers.

P.S Love this forum

You need some clay, it takes the heat. Try a pottery supply, they will not likely recognize "fire" clay, but they will have a lot of clay. Personally, I believe just about any clay would work, but ask the supply house and they will be able to make a recommendation. Remember that the oven will not reach temps much over 1500 F which is quite low for pottery firing so the clay should have a low vitrify (bisque?) temp. Most fireclay is actually just dust from the making of firebrick. If you made all your cuts first with a wet saw, you would have all the fireclay you need just by saving the gummy slime at the bottom of the saw pan. I cannot say what kind of clay will work the best, but I have seen some grey and yellowish clay that acts and looks like fireclay.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Yes, any clay should suffice, but avoid bentonite as it has extremely small particles which leads to greater shrinkage which can cause problems. The cheapest source of clay I can find is Bricklayers clay. If you have to get some through a pottery supplies place the cheapest and most suitable should be ball clay. Don't get clay in a plastic state, what you want is powdered clay.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

When you say you can't source it cheaply, how much did you find it for?

How much do you need - I found several places where it was reasonable, but some have minimum order requirements?

Comment

Working...
        X