Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire brick slab for pizaa oven cooking surface

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to wood fired pizza oven. I purchase a used model on wheels so that I can get my feet wet before I invest in something larger. My question is related to the fire brick cooking surface. It is made up mostly of rectangles 15"x13"x1.25". One is damaged and I need to replace but cant't seem to locate them anywhere. All my local masonry stores say that they need to be ordered on line but no one knows where. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction even if the pieces were larger and i could cut down to size, the thickness would need to be 1.25". I do not now the manufacture of the oven.

Thank You,

Frank

Frank,

Welcome to the forum. A Google search for "refactory tiles", "fire brick sizes", "custom firebrick" etc. may help. You said that the tile was damaged. I've read where some who just had a cracked tile would just keep on cooking and not replace the tile. If the damage is worse than that, and you don't find the tile that you are looking for, there is the option of fire brick splits. They are 4 ½" X 9" X 1 ¼". And, they are probably available at your local brick yard.
    Last edited by Gulf; 11-14-2016, 05:41 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Joe. I have tried almost every combination of searches on google but cannot locate pieces that are at least 13" x 15" at 1.25" thickness. I am willing to cut larger pieces if necessary but need the correct thickness.

Comment

What about making it up out of smaller pieces?

Comment

Try your local Harbison Walker outlet. I think they have 12x12, 18x18, etc. You're unlikely to find the exact size you want. 1.25" thickness is low for an oven floor, spits in a herringbone pattern may be your best option.

edit: you might need to replace all the floor tiles instead of just the damaged one. You could get enough firebrick splits to replace an entire oven for less than $75.
          Last edited by deejayoh; 11-15-2016, 10:54 AM.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Frank, have you contacted or looked at local pottery supplies? You might find that a kiln shelf would be an option and it might be much easier to find. If you could post a picture of the inside of the oven and the damaged tile it would be helpful. Also, since you're looking at replacement I'm assuming that you can lift that damaged section out...? As Deejayoh and Gulf noted, the firebrick splits or full firebrick would be a really good option if you can get the existing floor out or if you can't find an exact enough match...or as Jonv noted, since it's a "getting your feet wet oven", cutting some splits to fill in the damaged section would work.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Zeo, I'm with Gulf on this one, you may be able to cook for a very long time with a crack. Can you post a picture of your crack? My own oven has significant cracks between the bricks. It is no problem.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                Zeo, I'm with Gulf on this one, you may be able to cook for a very long time with a crack. Can you post a picture of your crack? My own oven has significant cracks between the bricks. It is no problem.
                a picture of the floor of the oven will be appreciated by all

Comment

Working...
                X