Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finished dome. Entry arch vent design questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished dome. Entry arch vent design questions.

I'm about 5 months in since breaking and I finally finished my dome last weekend. Now I'm working on the design of the entry arch with the hopes of getting that done before the cold makes working/curing mortar impossible.

The opening of my entry arch is going to be about 22" wide and 14.5" tall, with the first 3 bricks stacked vertically and the arch beginning from there. By virtue of the perlcrete insulating layer I built, my vent has to be a 1/2 brick deep.

At this point, I'm pretty out of my depth. I'm finding lots of references for all the things I need to consider when designing the arch and placing the chimney but they all seem a bit scattered.

Could anyone either give me a good primer on the various factors I need to take into account or link me to clearly outlined instructions somewhere else on the site (or any site)?

There are lots of examples of building the oven entry/venting/chimney construction, but here's several that are pretty well documented pictorially onsite. Two are linked in the Newbie section sticky topic (2nd thread "Treasures..."). Gulf's Mississippi Queen (pg 3 on his thread is the vent arch beginning) and UtahBeeHiver's link, starts on page 4 of his thread. Gulf is relatively near you, you might send him a pm...a couple minutes on the phone might get you going on this with more confidence. Another build to look at is JRPizza's 39 inch Corner Build (link below)

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...er-build/page8

What you are interested in starts about page 8 of JR's build. Hope those links help you figure this out for your build...it's certainly one of the more challenging parts of most builds...just takes time and reading/looking at how other folks have done it. I don't think I've seen any all-encompassing, step-by-step instructions for this...it's really just a matter of you putting available good ideas & methods together into something you feel comfortable doing.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
    X