Insulation paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation paper

does anyone know what insulation paper is?

Ive been recommended it from my local supplier - to use as insulation under the firebricks on the floor. He says that it can be used instead of ceramic board - and is thinner.

has anyone built with this, and what are the risks/benefits?
    Thanks,

The Kid

Not me, or at least nothing with that description, that can be used for a WFO. Ask your supplier for the actual name of the product, a material data sheet and/or a link to the manufacturer. The answer will probably be "don't use it". But, with that information we could be sure.
    Last edited by Gulf; 12-30-2016, 04:58 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Make sure you get the thermal conductivity values, which should be in Btu·in/hr·ft2·°F or W/m·°C. Attached for reference is the spec sheet for the Insblok 19 board that I used.
      Attached Files
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I've seen ceramic paper in kiln suppliers catalogues. It is sometimes used as a layer between glass and the moulds that glass slumpers use. It is way too thin to be of any benefit for an insulation layer for a WFO.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ceramic paper is the same thing as Ceramic blanket except that it is paper thin. I think you can get it down to 1/32 inch thickness. Under the floor it would serve as a gasket if the base was really dense such as straight concrete. Insulation value is minimal as it is designed to be a high temp gasket material. I would have no problem using it under the floor, but it has almost zero insulation value to begin with and then it would be compressed making it no insulation at all.

Most of the insulating material used under an oven is relatively soft, even cal sil is similar to rigid foam insulation so the advantage of a gasket between the floor and insulation below is non existent. If you were to have a dense floor such as AAC (Hebel or Y-Tong) and nothing else, then the paper would really help level out the small imperfections that would be present in the brick and AAC. But building an oven without insulation really doesn't make sense to begin with and the paper is not cheap so I have to ask, what would you be gaining?

Increasing cost without gaining any advantage is one definition of insanity or in the case of Government work, it would be called job security. I would suggest that you let your local supplier provide the items that he normally stocks for your oven and leave the ignorant suggestions for losers on the internet.
          The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

I did a portland cement perlite mixture with olive oil/wine bottles found from my local recycle center for free for the insulation layer. I'm also using it for baking if you're just making pizzas i've been told this step is not necessary.

Comment

Working...
            X