Is this a good fire brick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good fire brick?

I apologize because I know questions like this get asked all the time. I suspect the silica/alumina ratio is off. I heard mention of a brick primer but I couldn't find it searching the site.

Is the attached chem sheet for a usable fire brick?
    Attached Files

I would suggest you take a look at the FB Oven Plans and especially Appendix 2 which is called Brick Primer. Since you are starting your research, get the plans, they are only 2-3 bucks from Forno Bravo and although dated it gives you a good baseline start.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you! I have purchased that guide and read the brick primer. The ratio of Silica and Alumina is off from those suggested in the primer, but I didn't know the brick I posted was still a viable option, even if not optimal. Folks on here have suggested the supplier, Mutual Materials, as their fire brick source in Portland Oregon, and MM has said other users have purchased these bricks for ovens, so I'm at a loss.

Comment

Not sure what that brick is, it has about half the alumina of a low-duty firebrick. I purchased my bricks from MM, and believed them to be low-duty. I think they had the spec sheet online on the time, I no longer find it. Whatever the case, they have performed just fine.

Curious, what is the price on that brick? That may be a clue
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

It's about $1.86. That seemed a little cheap to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ASPLM View Post
            It's about $1.86. That seemed a little cheap to me.
            Yes, that does. IIRC I paid over $2 per brick 5 years ago - so doesn't sound like the same brick.

You might try Harbison Walker if MM doesn't carry the light duty any longer.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
            X