Bricks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricks...

Bought the oven e-book and it said you can use clay brick for the dome, but they might spall. Fire brick is hard to find in Cleve OH unless I go to a fireplace shop and pay $3/brick. Could I mortar the inside of the dome to stop the spalling?

Search for a local refractory. Refractories make, among many things, fire bricks and should be a good source for many of the items you need to build an oven. HTH
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Agree with Lee on refractory search. Distribution International is located in Toledo and the carry, CaSi board, blanket, firebrick etc. A quick Google search showed a local refractory distributor called Empire in Cleveland, I'm sure there are others but you expect firebrick in the 1.50 - 2.00 range. You can also look at Craigslist or classified ads as well.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I agree with all the above. Be careful when pricing firebrick. Especially, with a "fireplace shop". They may even be giving you a price on splits. Go where the contractors go to get your brick.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks! I was looking for the wrong thing. Typed in fire instead of refractory.

Comment

Working...
          X