No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii Build in the desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good - nice transition! You just need to make sure you can get the proper criss-crossing of bricks to help hold it all together. I didn't get the total tie in till my last row though.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Jim, following the contour of the serpentine makes sense and maintains the character of the vent. I don't see any issues. I like the way you have worked around the keystone. Its going to look very nice when you are done. I take it that since you took the time to make such a beautiful keystone on the outer arch that you will not be constructing a decorative arch that would cover up all that nice work.
      Dan

Build Log
      Build Photo Album

Comment

• I have no plans to construct a decorative arch but i had no plans to construct a serpentine arch either.

Thinking about the vent. Trying to copy Russell’s brick/vent photos. Any thoughts?

I cut out a bit of a recess on the back side of the vent bricks. Is there an easy method to clean out the corners of these guys?

Comment

• Here are a few questions:

Has anyone tried to use anchor bolts or rods to stabilize the arch?

Anyone ever use copper leaf on the exterior of the dome? I saw Russell's copper clad dome but have no skill set for that type of precision.

Comment

• I had an arch like yours on my oven and buttressed the sides with cinder block just in case. But I put a granite face on my oven and skinned the arch with decorative brick, so I didn't have to worry about the buttress showing. I don't think rebar dowels or anchor bolts would pose a problem per se, aside from getting them close enough to the uprights to be effective. I'm thinking that you would drill holes into the slab and set the pins vertically so the bricks would rest against the pins.

Comment

• Thanks Azatty. Still doing a bit of thinking about the buttressing. BTW, hot enough for ya?

Comment

• Finished the front and back of the serpentine arch. Thinking about the vent. If I go with Russell’s recessed vent plate brick (post #168) and JR’s thru-bolt method I believe I will have to mortar the vent plate/brick assembly, move that assembly to the wfo, and then mortar that assembly to the vent. Any thoughts?

I cannot seem to download any photos at this point. I will try a bit later.

Comment

• Here is a dry fit of the vent plate/brick and pipe. Also the ss bolts. Any thing else i need to consider?

Comment

• Jim, I've been away doing spring things, but see you have made good progress. I thought about building my assembly "off site" then moving to the oven, but I went with the slotted ends on my bolts so I could "theoretically" remove the vent plate if I needed and build it in place. The slots let you hold the bolts from rotating while you tighten the nuts on top. I ended up having to slot/elongate a few of the holes in the plate as getting all the holes to align was problematic, but it all went together well. A little of the high temp sealant under the plate before bolting and I have not had any problems.
                    My build thread
                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Thanks JR. Now I understand why you split the bolts. I ended up putting together a jig the size of the top of the vent bricks. Seems like an endless interplay of trimming brick, widening plate holes, tightening the bolts, and dry fitting the bolted bricks/plate assembly on the top. Did all the mortaring in place using a grout sock for the first time. Sweet. I let the mortared assembly set over night and will hook up the vent pipe today or should I let the mortar cure a bit longer?

Other questions:
                      The plan is to add ½” of homebrew over the dome for added mass. Should I wait until this is done before I starting firing?

Are more brick added to the vent assembly?

Comment

• I hope you used stainless fixings otherwise you can expect corrosion from the heat. Regarding firing it is better IMO to wait until you’ve insulated before doing any fires as an uninsulated oven is subjected to a far greater difference in temperature and therefore thermal expansion, of the inner and outer surfaces of the brick. An example of this is the use of an uninsulated clay chimney pipe which invariably cracks while an insulated one is fine.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Thanks David I can wait. Yep all SS bolts.

Comment

• Thinking about the buttress a bit. U'all think this will work (see photo)?

Comment

• Finished the buttresses and ordered the ceramic blanket. Looked at FB's videos on how to install the blanket. Looks easy when they do it but... Any advice.

I am currently applying a 1/2 inch coating of the home brew on the dome. Any thoughts/advice.

Comment

• Received the insulating blanket and watch the video. Looks like FB cuts small strips of the blanket and then trims the tops to mate together. Is that the best plan?

Also any recommendations for thermocouples?

Comment

Working...
                                X