No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii Build in the desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like FB cuts small strips of the blanket and then trims the tops to mate together. Is that the best plan?
    I think that it is very close. If I had it to do again, I would take a little more time with my blanket insulation. I followed advice from an industrial insulator friend of mine and I ended up with a lumpy mess. It took a thick layer of vermicrete to get it back to a perfect sphere. I would fit it very close and stagger the splices as much as possible between layers. If you are going to enclose the dome, or shape with a vermicrete layer, lumpy wont matter. If you are going to apply stucco to lath, it will imo.

EDIT: kerrected spellin
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-26-2018, 04:15 PM. Reason: Corrected
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Thanks Gulf. Stucco and lathe is the plan.

Comment

• I installed TCs but never need to use them anymore.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Thanks Russell. I was thinking the TC's would be information for me about the first dozen or so times you cooked with the WFO. After that not so much.

Comment

• I think you all mean lath (rhymes with bath), the supporting substrate for plaster (traditionally thin pieces of wood, but now steel or aluminum mesh). A lathe (like bathe) is a tool you use to turn wood or metal. You'll get funny looks asking at the store for one when you mean the other.
            My build thread: https://tinyurl.com/y8bx7hbd

Comment

• I stand corrected.

Comment

• So looks like i will need 75 square feet of ceramic blanket to make 3 inches of insulation?

Using A=2r2 times 3 (A=2*3.14*(2')^2 ). Guess i will need to order 2 more 25' * 2' * 1" rolls. Did not see that coming.

Comment

• Forgot to put pi in the Area equation.

Comment

• That's exactly what I did on my 42". Plenty left over.

Comment

• So we have a lot of wind here and was thinking of using high temperature caulk to secure the ceramic blanket to the oven. Any thoughts?

Comment

• The caulk aint going to help if the wind blows the lath and stucco off imo. Isn't there 50 square feet of blanket to each roll?
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Thanks Joe. Yep 50 square foot per roll. FB says one roll will insulate a 42 inch oven ONE INCH thick. The part i missed was was the one inch bit. Ordered 2 more rolls.

Working on a plan to extend the landing zone a bit.

Comment

• I may of missed something. I figured that 2 rolls total was all that you needed. I figured the area for a 22 " radius. I'll look at it again when I get back in front of the computer.

Comment

• Thanks again Joe. I figured a 2 foot radii and came out about 25 square foot per layer.

Comment

• I just finished my 36" oven and I did 2 layers of 1 1/2" CF It took two rolls and left nothing extra really. Photo shows what I covered with the two rolls. I did what others showed, I put some nails/pins into the Calsil board and the ran wire over in an alternating pattern to hold the blanket in place. It worked very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X