Bought a cheapo for starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a cheapo for starters

Since I have never built, seen or operated a wood fired pizza oven I decided to buy a cheap one to try this and then decide what "real oven" I want to build. I should probably be ashamed as I am a mason
    and have worked with fire brick and refractory cement building fireplaces. But I am 74 and not sure I want a masonry project unless this wood fired pizza is as great as some people say it is. So I bought a
    Camp Chef PZ30 that goes on top of a propane burner and I think you burn some wood in it to break it in slowly and burn in some wood ash flavor etc. Then you cook a pizza via the wood that flavored the base of the oven and the heat from both the wood and the gas. They claim it will get to 600-700 F if you wait long enough. I just want to do a a 12" pizza for me and the 52 year love of my life. Did I waste my money? Any advice or comment. Is it possible to at least come close to a wood fired pizza with this unit? Thanks for your comments in advance.

Hi Konk, welcome to the forum.

I think you burn some wood in it to break it in slowly and burn in some wood ash flavor etc. Then you cook a pizza via the wood that flavored the base of the oven and the heat from both the wood and the gas.
    I don't have any experience with this particular pizza oven accessory for a gas grill. I do see folks on another forum using pizza oven grill attachments on gas and charcoal grills. They seem to like them. However, I would not burn wood or wood chips in it to get some kind of residual smoked wood flavor. A wood fired brick oven (at pizza temperatures) will not impart a taste like that. The smoke and smoke flavor will not survive those temps. I really don't think that the residual tar, turpentine and creosote flavor is what you want in a pizza anyway.

That being said, enjoy the oven. If you work on the home made dough and toppings it will make some good pizza imo. I don't think that you have wasted your money. However, if you decide that you want to build a brick or cast oven from scratch, we are here. If you don't want to commit to quite that amount of effort, our hosts at Forno Bravo may have what you want. They offer everything from "turn key" to kits that still allow a brick mason like yourself to finish it like you choose. There is also the enclosure or roof-over styles to protect it from the weather.

Having the attachment for your gas grill will allow you to enjoy some pretty good pizza until you decide. It's too late for me. I'm hooked on wood fire. I love staring into the mouth of the dragon .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
    X