Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the point in having a WFO in a country where the whether is temperamental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by purplehaze View Post
    My oven door is insulated with a dial temp gauge installed to monitor oven temps. I also have a digital meat thermometer the lines are long enough to keep the plastic gauge at a safe distance. Its orange/black wireless Ink bird with two probes. While cooking foods for several hours I have never had to add more fuel. When cooking that brisket for 16hrs yes I had to add a small amount of wood twice to keep the temp in range. By a small amount I mean one piece of cherry firewood chopped into kindling.
    Excellent. I've been eyeing up a kamado as an all-rounder that's particularly good and low effort slow cooking, but being able to use a WFO instead would be great. I don't plan to do much slow cooking anyway, but it would be nice to be able to.

Without actually having a WFO and deciding I need to cook everything outside, my main expectations for outside cooking would be basic grilling (sausages, kebabs etc), pizzas, some steaks, some ribs and the odd pork butt. Nothing that can't be done on a standard kettle, but I think it's difficult to do some of it very well on a standard kettle.

My oven is 40" inside diameter, I used 3, 1" layers of ceramic fiber insulation on top of the oven. Approximately 5" of perlite/cement insulation with
    Oh wow that's quite a lot.

The link to my build thread in below. I did fix the pictures making it easier to follow.
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Comment

You can cook anything in a WFO. And you get real browning not just a little bit after you leave something in 10 min longer than you needed to. I do potatoes in the entry of my oven and they are just perfect i have never gotten the same results in a normal home oven or gas grill. Also steaks on a tuskin grill are amazing better than i have had at any steak house.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
        You can cook anything in a WFO. And you get real browning not just a little bit after you leave something in 10 min longer than you needed to.
        I'm sorry for the basic questions, but why is that? Is it that you've got it really hot, or do you have a low roof with flames licking the top of the food, or what?

I do potatoes in the entry of my oven and they are just perfect i have never gotten the same results in a normal home oven or gas grill.
        Roast or baked? And what temp is the oven and what temp is the entry? I'd assume the temp across the entry varies a bit, so you have to turn the potatoes? And is that by the entry with or without a door?

Also steaks on a tuskin grill are amazing better than i have had at any steak house.
        I like the sound of that.

Thanks

Comment

The browning is from the pure inferred heat that is pooring out of thr bricks. It browns way better than hot air. As to the potatoes i have done them with a big live fire and also with retained heat. So it can be a very versatile appliance. Yeah i like doing steaks this way 1.25"thick and about 2 min a side at 13-1400F nice and seared on the outside and so jucie and tasty on the inside. It is incredible.

Randy

Comment

The browning is from the pure inferred heat that is pooring out of thr bricks. It browns way better than hot air.
            Nice, didn't know that.
            Yeah i like doing steaks this way 1.25"thick and about 2 min a side at 13-1400F
            **** that's hot. Is that just the temp on the Tuscan grill above some embers, or is that the temp of the whole oven?

Comment

I don't have a Tuscan grill but I made an Argentine grill which is similar attached to my WFO. I remember as a kid there was a restaurant near where I lived that had a wood fired grill and the smell that came from there was amazing. I never did get to eat there but I remember the smell! That memory inspired me to build an Argentine grill. The Argentine grill uses "V" shaped grill bars instead of round to keep the flare ups to a minimum. Whatever grill you decide to use/build everything tastes better over wood or charcoal . I usually put a layer of wood down and then add the charcoal and get the best of both. I will try and get a better photo of my grill for you tomorrow. It was easy to build if you weld or have friend that does. It was also very cheap using some scrap metal.
              My oven build in progress: https://community.fornobravo.com/forum/pizza-oven-design-and-installation/pompeii-oven-construction/381050-40-homemade-cast-dome

Comment

What temp rating does your infrared thermometer need be? I've seen them for 1022 F, or 1472 F, with the latter being twice the price. Not sure I need that high though.

I will try and get a better photo of my grill for you tomorrow.
                Did you manage to get a photo?

Comment

Get the one for 1022F. Once you are over that it generally does not matter as it is to hot for pizza and everything else you are cooking by sight.

Randy

Comment

Get the one for 1022F. Once you are over that it generally does not matter as it is to hot for pizza and everything else you are cooking by sight.

Randy
                    Thank you. On a YT vid about WFOs I saw them recommending one that went to 1300 - I did wonder why, as even 1000 is more than you need for a Neapolitan. 1022 it is

Comment

Here's another thought. You're in Merry Old England. Got a conservatory? Build a nice big uninsulated dome in the conservatory/enclosed outdoor living area. Sell it to She Who Must Be Obeyed as a masonry heater.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                        Here's another thought. You're in Merry Old England. Got a conservatory?
                        I have. I hate it and want to knock it down and build a proper extension there instead.
                        Build a nice big uninsulated dome in the conservatory/enclosed outdoor living area. Sell it to She Who Must Be Obeyed as a masonry heater.

Comment

My appologies for the delay in posting pics. There were technical difficulties. Here they are of the Argentine grill. It needs a bit of TLC due to being used all winter long with no cover.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180509_121024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.2 KB ID:	404717
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180509_121047.jpg Views:	1 Size:	221.9 KB ID:	404718
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180509_121102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.7 KB ID:	404719
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180509_121035.jpg Views:	1 Size:	219.3 KB ID:	404720
                          Last edited by purplehaze; 05-13-2018, 07:33 PM.
                          My oven build in progress: https://community.fornobravo.com/forum/pizza-oven-design-and-installation/pompeii-oven-construction/381050-40-homemade-cast-dome

Comment

My appologies for the delay in posting pics. There were technical difficulties. Here they are of the Argentine grill. It needs a bit of TLC due to being used all winter long with no cover.
                            Wow, that's a serious piece of kit. Looks like a medieval torture device

Comment

Working...
                            X