Versatility of 36" vs 42"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versatility of 36" vs 42"

My build is currently on hold until it gets a little warmer, but I've been doing some reading during these cold months.

I've seen a comment a few times around the web about how the 42" dome oven will give more versatility. What are the challenges people with 36" inch ovens may face when trying to cook? Does anyone have any specific examples?

I understand that the larger size gives you the ability to cook more at a given time, or maybe larger cuts of meat. Is there anything else I'm missing. My wife and I plan to use our 36" for ourselves and then dinner parties of 6-8.

I think that you will be just fine with a 36" oven based on how you intend to use it. Many have reasoned to split the difference and went with 39" ovens. But, I would not go making a lot of changes if my stand was designed for a 36".
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank-you Gulf . with the foundation already poured I will not be able to make any changes due to building code. However, I still feel 36 was the right choice for us and I just wanted to see others' thoughts on this topic.

Comment

I have a 36" oven and I'm very happy. Not sure if I'm limited in any way but so far it's cooked everything I put in it.
        My Build Pictures
        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Thank-you for the reply Chach .

Comment

I’m in the same boat, was wondering if a 42” would hold heat longer
            mark

Comment

.......was wondering if a 42” would hold heat longer
              mark
              I'm going to answer that with a yes................and a no. I have seen many reports of well insulated ovens (both large and small) with next day temps in the range of what I experience. That is the next day temps of an empty oven that was closed up after firing. Imo a small oven and a large oven, that have the same thickness of brick and the same amount of insulation (to include a well insulated door) will loose heat at the same rate. Though, the smaller oven has a smaller heat bank it has a smaller surface area in which to loose heat. The variable that really makes the difference is the amount of food that we put in them. Food sucks heat out of the heat bank. A cold 10lb ham (cooked to the required internal temperature) in a smaller oven will lower the temp more than it will in a larger oven. Both hams will probably finish in about the same time. Now, (same variable) put 2 hams (probably capacity) in the 36" and 4 in the 42"..........

Oven size depends on what purpose that we intend to use our ovens. If we are cooking for just ourselves and a few occasional friends the 36" is just fine. If wood is cheap to source and/or we intend to cook for large numbers, go big. Otherwise, we are just adding overkill, more wood, and longer heat up times.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf, think I'll go with a 36 and just insulate well,
                Thinking I could cook for a couple days , nothing big like ham turkey just pizza bread 2 loaves ,and or dinner . weekly.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post

I'm going to answer that with a yes................and a no. I have seen many reports of well insulated ovens (both large and small) with next day temps in the range of what I experience. That is the next day temps of an empty oven that was closed up after firing. Imo a small oven and a large oven, that have the same thickness of brick and the same amount of insulation (to include a well insulated door) will loose heat at the same rate. Though, the smaller oven has a smaller heat bank it has a smaller surface area in which to loose heat. The variable that really makes the difference is the amount of food that we put in them. Food sucks heat out of the heat bank. A cold 10lb ham (cooked to the required internal temperature) in a smaller oven will lower the temp more than it will in a larger oven. Both hams will probably finish in about the same time. Now, (same variable) put 2 hams (probably capacity) in the 36" and 4 in the 42"..........

Oven size depends on what purpose that we intend to use our ovens. If we are cooking for just ourselves and a few occasional friends the 36" is just fine. If wood is cheap to source and/or we intend to cook for large numbers, go big. Otherwise, we are just adding overkill, more wood, and longer heat up times.
                  Gulf , Thank-you. Really good information.

Comment

Your question and the responses garnered from it are relevant to me. In 2005 I built a Pompeii 42" from scratch and was really happy with the whole experience. We have moved residences so now I am looking at building another Pompeii oven, this time a 36". I am hoping it will be as good as the 42" was for our entertaining needs. I'm pretty sure we can cook to 12" size pizzas quite easily in a 36" However, I see that there is a choice of oven height. Can anyone advise on pros and cons of the two suggested heights for the 36" Pompeii. Thanks.

Comment

I am rather biased regarding size as I build and cook in small ovens. A 36” oven will be far cheaper to build than a 42. But with either oven you won’t be firing it up on a Friday night after work to cook two pizzas. The fuel consumption is roughly directly proportional to the volume of the chamber. To fit two or three pizzas at a time requires two or three cooks because it takes as long to prep a pizza as it does to cook it. I cooked 40 pizzas on Sat. for a party of 45 in my 21” oven doing all the prep, cooking and cutting on my own. If I had an oven that could do 3 pizzas I’d need to employ two more operators.
                      To answer your question a hemisphere is a good all round oven, but a low dome (Neapolitan) oven is better suited if you are doing pizzas only as the dome is closer to the pizzas.If it’s substantially lower the walls need bracing or buttressing.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David S for your input. From what you have said the 36" will be fine for us. When we had the 42" oven we had guests assemble their own pizzas from the dough and toppings we put out on a table. So all got to participate in the event rather than be waited on. It worked well. Also, you make a good point about the interior oven height. The oven would warm up faster, reflect heat better. That's all good info.

Comment

Working...
                        X