Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome height..is mine too high?

Hi,

I'm a builder from the UK (Bricklayer by trade) And I'm part way through my first wood oven build (at home). However I think I've made a big mistake. For some reason I have made the radius of the dome start from the top of the first course of soldier bricks laid. So basically the internal radius is 18" (36" diameter) but the internal height on the dome is now 24" above the floor. I'm thinking I need to take down but before doing that do you think the oven will still work well enough if I leave as is?

Sorry about the "Doom" can't seem to edit for some reason, tho' apt for how the job seems to be going.

Just trying to add some more information:
    First pic: This is to show the depth of insulation below the fire brick floor. There is a layer of glass bottles and then a vermiculite cement cover.
    Second pic: To show finished Insulation level.
    Third pic: To show radius height above floor
    Fourth pic: To show the dome height (to be)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_135330.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	419513 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_150416.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	419514 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_112351.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	419511 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_114116.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	962.8 KB
ID:	419512
    Attached Files

Comment

Don’t worry about it. The oven will fire and cook fine, you’d barely notice any difference. It is not worth back tracking IMO
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cannot thank you enough for the reply, had a few sleepless nights. I will go with your opinion. Thank you

Comment

I'm with david s on this. With the extra heighth, you have a little extra leeway with your opening heighth. Make sure that you have enough room to use any large pot that you may use in the future.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I just noticed your fire brick are installed standing on edge. The 4" side should be laying flat and set at the angle needed by the IT. The thermal mass of your oven will be low IMO and I'm not sure how strong the oven itself will be with the brick orientated the way you currently have them.

Ricky
            My Build Pictures
            https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Cheers Gulf, Hi Chach, yes I agree with the thermal mass problem but i'm from Yorkshire & half Scottish so i'm tight! (anyone outside the UK might not get it) The plan is, when the inner shell is completed, another thermal mass layer will be added using all the dust and off cuts from the fire bricks mixed with clay and cement to increase the overall thermal thickness close to 4". Then insulated. I'm hoping to do a bit more this weekend. Will put some pictures on if i can. It's got 2 chances, it will work or not but fire bricks are expensive

Comment

Working...
              X