Building a pizza oven in a hedge!It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a pizza oven in a hedge!It

Okay, total newbie here but as we are in CV19 lockdown I have decided to build a pizza oven.

My question - I want to build my oven in our treed hedge! It is the best place for me as we have a long rather narrow section and the hedge surrounds our seating area. Now is there any danger (of Fire etc) building my oven half in the hedge? It will be a dome style and will be very well insulated. External size will be about 1 meter across. Is this big enough for us (like entertaining and love pizza). Thanks all, and hi from France!

Welcome. Although I don't know what your hedge looks like, you shouldn't have any heat issues. Properly insulated, heat will only radiate from the opening and from your chimney/vent pipe.
    I highly recommend a spark arrestor when you get to that point.
    I made a similar consideration and positioned my oven almost on top of a giant bird of paradise that I did not want to remove. The back of the dome is also less than a meter from my house for that matter.
    I've attached a photo of my oven and its proximity to the giant bird.

Good luck, post photos of your progress.

- George

My Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply! Ok next question... have seen so many of these Ooni ovens - I know that they are portable BUT the shape intrigues me! Is there any reason to stop building an Ooni shape oven in Clay (to make it a permanent oven)? Or am I missing something here... still do like the Igloo shape though....

Comment

I believe the Ooni is basically what is referred to as a 'barrel vault' style oven. Do a forum search and you will find plenty of info, examples and pros/cons.
        I highly recommend you start by purchasing the oven plans from the Forno Bravo sight for just a few dollars. It's more of a guideline than actual plans but full of great information. Many of the techniques and specifications have since been updated and documented here in the forum so always check for updates here as well. Examples are changes in the amount of floor insulation and design considerations to allow for moisture buildup.
        In that PDF is a discussion on the heat distribution in a dome vs. the barrel vault.
        I've also seen comments that a barrel vault isn't necessarily easier to build than a dome.
        - George

My Build
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Working...
        X