1st build - using existing materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st build - using existing materials

Hi all, after 4 years of procrastination, I've decided (with all this spare time) to start on an outdoor pizza oven. Hopefully I'll get lots of tips on here.

I have a couple of ideas on how I might tackle it, but cost will be a big factor so hopefully will use as much material as I can find around the place.

First off, I have a load of concrete blocks, some have a rough face on them (they were used on a building site for something).

I'm hoping to use them to create the plinth, but also at the top of the plinth instead of a concrete base. I've attached a sample image of what it would look like(might require some imagination looking at it!). I'd put a vermiculite layer on top of that and then the fire brick. Any thoughts on using concrete blocks like this?

Also, I am surrounded by a lot of stone in our area. Im thinking of using local stones instead of using something like paving stone or brick to create the dome. I might need a find a lot of stone to get enough good ones to do the dome, but should save cost. Again, any thoughts on doing this, and if there are any pitfalls.

Thanks
    ​​​​​​​

I'll answer my own question!
    Decided against using block on top of plinth and just form a vermiculite and concrete base instead.

Comment

Just to everyone is on the same page. Steel reinforced 4" concrete top, then v or pcrete insulating layer (min 4") then firebrick floor. As far as using local stone for the main dome it is uncertain how well the stone in your area can take thermal differential or shock. Some stones, ie soap stone or blue stone do good, others like quartz do not.so it is a crap shoot.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
      X