Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden base for a pizza oven

Hello,
    I'm planning on building a pizza oven, 36" inner dome diameter. I am trying to avoid making a concrete base so I want the base of the oven to be made out of wood. My plan is to use 3 3/4 inch thick beams for legs connected by beams of the same thickness, a plus sign shape in the middle with 1 1/4 thick boards anchored on the beams connecting the legs, and support in the lower part of the structure as well with 1 1/4 thick boards. On top of that I'll be casting a reinforced concrete slab which the oven will sit on. Separating the slab from the oven chamber are a layer of fiber board and a layer of fire bricks.
    Here are my questions:
    1. Will the structure be strong enough? I'm not sure how heavy the oven will be. 2. How thick do I need the reinforced concrete slab to be so that the wooden base won't get hotter than 120f? I was thinking 3-4 inches? Is there a better way to insulate the oven from the wooden base?

Thank you

These ovens are really really heavy and a general rule wood bases are not recommended. You can search the blog for wooden bases but there are not many, maybe a handful. Steel bases are an option if you do not want concrete block or brick.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I was also thinking of something similar, my idea was to put pallets on their side and then a pallet on top. I'm trying to maintain the strength but keep the base as light as possible. If pallets are a no, then I will use aerolight breeze blocks...... I'm still researching the idea.

Comment

Working...
      X