Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Hello all. I live in Wisconsin. I love pizza (as I bet everyone here does).

Is anyone interested in, or does anyone have experience in, making gluten-free pizza dough? I'm not finding much information on this. I've tried using my regular recipe substituting rice flour and it's edible, but not very good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Greetings

I have been making a gluten free pizza for my daughter for a couple of months. I don't have the recipe with me at the moment but I'll post it here tomorrow.
    It works but it is kind of wierd. Its only saving grace is that it is better than no pizza. The dough comes out like mashed potatoes. i end up spreading it on a pizza stone like I am icing a cake. Then adding the sauce and cheese.
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Why gluten free? Allergies? Gastric intolerance? I'm out of my league on this topic.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Does it have to entirely gluten-free? I read that spelt has less gluten than regular flour and can be eaten by people with allergies - or maybe if you just mixed in a bit of it?

Flour made of potatoes, millet, corn or chick peas is supposed to be ok... but you probably know more about this than I do. I'm thinking that a mixture of some of these flours might work better than pure rice flour (which I personally think tastes pretty nasty anyway).

Keep posting about it, and good luck finding a recipe! I'm sure a good gluten free dough recipe woud be an asset to the forum.
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Likely allergies George. We have serious gluten free issues in the family and went looking for ingredients and recipes....as I recall you can buy bread mixes that are gluten free.

also...lots of books and websites you could find with some searches.

Just happened to have a leftover book with seasoned pizza crust recipe...

(I have not tried this)

1 3/4 cups rice flour
          1 1/4 cup tapioca flour
          1 T xanthan gum
          2 t gelatin
          1T egg replacer
          1/3 cup sugar
          3 T dry milk powder
          1 1/2 t Italian Pizza seasoning
          1 t salt
          1 T yeast

4 egg whites
          3 t vegetable oil
          1 t dough enhancer
          1 1/2 cups warm water

mix dry together
          add liquid to mixer, saving a bit of the water, mix then turn on low and add dry ingredients mix on high 3 minutes. Add water if needed. Spread on greased pan and let rise 10 minutes.

....might be something to work with.
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

My husband is a Celiac and three of our kids have autistic spectrum disorders. Gluten-free is absolutely essential for hubby, and might help the kids.

Rice flour is tough to get used to. The storebought bread mixes often have bean flours and I don't like them.

The consistency that Brokencookie mentioned is common to GF doughs.

I'll have to try mixing some flours I guess, and maybe add some xanthan gum. I'll be sure and keep you guys posted on my efforts.

Thanks for the recipe SpringJim.

Comment

Working...
            X