Firebrick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick Question

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forum and just starting my planning for a home oven.

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and am having a bit of a hard time finding a good source for the 38% medium duty firebrick the oven guide recommends

I have found at local supplier for 16% Al2O3 bricks (they say are rated for up to 2,700 F) for $1.81/brick CAD $, lots of stock on hand.

I have also found another supplier who can special order 28% Al2O3 bricks (specs say rated for 2,000 F) for $3.50/brick CAD $.

Does anyone have an opinion on these two options or whether I should keep on looking?

Russ
    Vancouver, Canada

PS. The specs on the more expensive one as far as chemical composition are as follows, I don't have specs for the cheaper one:

SiO2 62.2%
    Al2O3 27.6%
    Fe2O3 2.8%
    TiO2 1.5%
    MgO 0.7%
    Alkali 3.5%
    Last edited by rjerickson; 06-10-2020, 05:00 PM.

Do you have the eplans from Forno Bravo, if not download them, they are "FREE" now and a good baseline for designing and building a WFO. There is also a good brick primer in the appendix.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-10-2020, 05:30 PM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      Do you have the eplans from Forno Bravo, if not download them, they are "FREE" now and a good baseline for designing and building a WFO. There is also a good brick primer in the appendix.
      Thanks Russell,

I have the eplans and the brick primer states that if all you can find is low duty bricks they they can be a good option, however the guide indicates that typical low duty bricks are around 30% alumina. I've found ones that are close to that at 27.6%, but they are double the cost of the very low (16%) ones also available in the area.

I'm betting that it's a case of you getting what you pay for and that I will get more life and better heating from the more expensive ones, but I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Comment

Working...
      X