2- layer Hearth question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2- layer Hearth question

In the pdf, on pages 25 and 26 it describes the 2 layer hearth, structural and then insulating. on pictures 4.3 and 4.4 the 'oatmeal' layer is very rough. Is this what that layer should look like when done, or does it need to be smoothed out? Or does the underfloor paste that goes on next take care of that?

Thank you,

Don

Re: 2- layer Hearth question

Yes, If you use the vermiculite concrete, you will end up with a rough surface, and some kind of layer is used to form a smooth surface for your fire brick. The current thinking is to put a smooth layer of DRY fireclay/sand or refractory mortar on the rough surface, trowel it smooth, lay your floor, and when everything is as smooth as you want it, then you wet the floor to consolidate the dry layer underneath.

If you use insulating sheets of cal-sil or other refractory insulation, you should be able to lay your bricks directly on top of the insulation.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

How do you wet it after the fact. mister? light garden hose spray?

Thank you,

Don

Comment

Yep. Or pretty much anything short of throwing a bucket of water on it. Sopping wet sponge would work too. Firebrick is pretty porous. The water will get where it's needed. This was Alf's idea, and he's a professional oven builder.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thank you very much. We got it into our heads to do a mud oven this summer. i have browsed these forums for years, so we are building the base to take a brick oven.

Thank you again,

Don

Comment

Doesn't this make it awfully difficult to replace a chipped floor brick down the road? Not that this would ever be needed, of course.

Comment

Hi Don,
              I poured my concrete foundation and topped it with vermiculite cement. I agree with the others but does not need to be rough. You can smooth it our perfectly flat and level with a little care, but it seems porous with a surface resembling cork tiles.
              See my Posting at:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              which will show and explain my experiences throughout the whole build process.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thank you (especially for the pictures). Helps a lot.

Don

Comment

One other thing. It's OK that the insulating layer (FB Board, vermiculite, perlite) is not smooth. You will make a bed of sand (or sand and clay, or high heat mortar) that will let you level your cooking floor. The insulating layer has to be level, but not smooth.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Just wanted to know how long you should let the vermiculite/concrete layer to harden or cure before starting on your oven? Is one day enough or does it require more time to harden?
                    THanks

Jim Bob

Comment

The cement component needs to cure, so you'd best give it about a week. (You'll be doing a lot of waiting around before you're finished... )
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances,
                        Thanks for the tip. It arrived just in time to tell the contractor!!
                        Hope to complete the oven by mid July,\

Jim Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X