Angle Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Iron

I have two questions. The first is I built my base and to provide extra support along with preventing unwanted pest from hiding out under the oven, I elected to build a u shaped row of blocks where the firewood would go. So now that I am forming for the hearth I am unable to remove the plywood or cement board that would support the concrete pour. Would I be able to leave whatever support I build under there? If so what would be best to use...cement board of plywood? The second question I have is about the angle iron that spans across the opening for the firewood. I elected to go with a pour in place of 4"x8"x 4' concrete with rebar vs the angle iron with with a row of block. Is that ok or should I install the angle iron by cutting little slots on both sides and sliding the angle iron in?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Brandon

Originally posted by Bgp410 View Post
    I have two questions. The first is I built my base and to provide extra support along with preventing unwanted pest from hiding out under the oven, I elected to build a u shaped row of blocks where the firewood would go. So now that I am forming for the hearth I am unable to remove the plywood or cement board that would support the concrete pour. Would I be able to leave whatever support I build under there? If so what would be best to use...cement board of plywood? The second question I have is about the angle iron that spans across the opening for the firewood. I elected to go with a pour in place of 4"x8"x 4' concrete with rebar vs the angle iron with with a row of block. Is that ok or should I install the angle iron by cutting little slots on both sides and sliding the angle iron in?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Brandon
    If you are going to leave your form in place it's best to use cement board.
    In my opinion spanning a gap in your supporting blocks with just reinforced concrete is perfectly acceptable if not preferableb if it fits your design.. That is provided that your slab is thick enough and properly reenforced with steel.

You can also construct a wood form using deck screws in a way that in can be easily disassembled and collapses for easy removal.

- George

My Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Thank you George. Do I put the cement board over the block? I didn't fill the cells.

Comment

Originally posted by Bgp410 View Post
        Thank you George. Do I put the cement board over the block? I didn't fill the cells.
        If it were my build I would fill at least every other cell in your blocks and place a piece of vertical rebar in the filled cells that extends up into your slab. This will strengthen your stand and tie the hearth/slab to your stand. I filled every cell in my stand. For sure "over kill" but concrete is pretty cheap so the real cost was a sore back.

You can go cement board over your block but I would not cover the cells completely. Don't forget to support your board from underneath.
        Block the cells you don't want to fill with crumpled cement bags.
        UtahBeehiver used cement board for his form and his photo documentation shows the board and reinforcement.

There are countless builds well documented in the forum. Check them out and good luck!
        - George

My Build
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X