Wire Mesh in Hearth Slab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Mesh in Hearth Slab?

Hi Everyone, first time making an oven . I think I might have made a mistake?

I just poured the hearth slab, and I used wire mesh, with rebar along the outer rim. Please take a look at the picture (this was before the pour).

Is this going to be a major problem? Is there anything I can do to fix this before moving to the next step (if something is wrong)?

I have started to put two more support stacks of cinderblocks under the middle of the oven, but I don't know if that will help or is necessary? Also, I can't get them to perfectly touch the top.

Hearth slab looks fine for now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7340.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	427564

There is very little weight in the middle of the hearth slab. The weight is distributed to the outer edges by the dome. You will be just fine. I wouldn't worry about the extra pillars.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great! Thank you. I was very worried. Follow up question- is that still the case if I am planning on a 36" interior oven? The slab is ~62" across, so I don't think the dome itself will be on the edges over the cinder blocks.

Thank you again for the help.

Comment

If your dome walls are 4" thick, the OD of the dome will be 44". At 62" overall, the ID of your stand will be 46". I still think that you will be ok. But, I invite others to weigh in on this. A lot of us have over built our stands out of an abundance of caution. If you do decide to place the extra pillars, point a stiff grout at the top to fill in the gap. Store bought vinyl wedges or wedges cut from treated wood would probably be just as good.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great. Again, I appreciate the reply.

I will probably follow the trend here of using an abundance of caution, and put in the two extra pillars with these composite shims on top?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-Com...2-TW/202807695

Happy to hear others weigh in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by scubasteve8542 View Post
            Great. Again, I appreciate the reply.

I will probably follow the trend here of using an abundance of caution, and put in the two extra pillars with these composite shims on top?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-Com...2-TW/202807695

Happy to hear others weigh in as well.
            In my opinion I'd go with extra steel in your hearth rather than additional blocks underneath. Like a piece of 1/2 inch rebar every 8 inches across the narrower dimension. As Gulf said, 'not much weight in the middle'. Regardless, concrete and steel, very strong. I'd also open up some of those cells in your block base and tie your hearth to your blocks.
            - George

My Build
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Working...
            X