Refractory Cement vs Refractory Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory Cement vs Refractory Mortar

Hi to all and a big thanks for the great information in this forum. I am building a kit oven and have completed the base and hearth. I am now ready to layout and build the oven on the hearth. I am admittedly confused about the difference between refractory cement and refractory mortar. The instructions for my kit use each term. The refractory cement is to be used to attach the floor to the dome pieces. The refractory mortar is to be used to cover the seams of each piece on the outside of the oven. Is there any reason I can't use refractory mortar in both cases? Thanks for any assistance. Coming soon... questions about building a walled enclosure.

What kit is it?
    I get a bit confused about sealing over the seams and sealing the components to the base, the whole idea of multiple components it to allow movement so nothing cracks!
    It might depend if the joints are just flat or if they are proper male .. female joints, if just flat joints it could be possible for particles of insulation to drop through onto your food and it would be better to try and cover the joints but otherwise I don’t see any point in coving the joints with cement.

Comment

Generally cement refers to the active ingredient, while mortar refers to the active ingredient combined with a fine aggregate. Most refractory cements are calcium aluminate and the aggregate in the mortar #60 mesh chamotte. You should contact the kit supplier to clarify the issue, they may mean adhesive when they use the term cement.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The kit is Cuore. I have received a reply from the representative. They informed me that I only need to cover the seams with refractory mortar.

The pieces fit together with male and female joints. I will apply a small amount of refractory mortar to the joints.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
        X