Waterproofing chimney vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing chimney vent

Hello! I just finished my build. I used the duravent chimney system, including the plate adapter to connect the pipe to the arch vent. How do I seal the metal plate to the masonry to prevent water from going through the space in between?
    Last edited by scubasteve8542; 09-24-2020, 03:19 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8699.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	909.5 KB
ID:	430752 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8698.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	894.4 KB
ID:	430753
    Attached Files

Comment

What's your plans for finishing the exterior of the chimney? You could seal the gap between the plate and arch with some of the caulk tube fireplace cement. But do you plan on leaving the base plate exposed like that it are you going to cover it?

Comment

Hi Grahamstein,

I don’t have any plans to add additional finish. I kind of like it the way it is. Will the fireplace caulk be ok for this application?

thanks so much for the help!

Comment

The caulk tube fireplace mortar will cure and essentially turn to masonry. I don't know that there is anything that will be about to keep a watertight seal as the metal flange will expand and contract with heat at different rates than the firebrick or mortar and break loose. Is your oven covered under some sort of roof or other structure?

That's why I asked about your plans for the exterior because in addition to asthetics it's usually what provides the waterproofing.

Comment

Hi Grahamstein,

Ah, that makes sense now... No- it is not covered. Do you have any recommendations on ways I could cover it (nothing major)?

Thanks for the help

Comment

You may want to really consider covering it. Firebrick suck water pretty fast from the elements. The joint between your oven and entry can be a problem for water entry that can effect your oven's performance.unless you can remove your vent and cover it for downpours. Also, moisture freezing inside masonry can do some major damage in areas that have harsh winters. Many have insultaed over the entry and finished it like the dome. I also recommend a installing a reveal to allow for the fitting of storm door. If yo do insulate and finish the entry area to match your dome, duravent sells a (search:" duravent storm collar") thatt will also help shed water between the vent pipe and the entry. Click image for larger version  Name:	Storm collar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	431141
              Last edited by Gulf; 09-30-2020, 04:18 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Is the pipe single or double wall (insulated)? Also where are you located? What is the weather like? Do you have freezing weather in winter?
                Last edited by Grahamstein; 10-01-2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X