No announcement yet.

Homebrew Cast Oven Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe the amount of help from everyone in these forums! Rock stars.

Comment

So I contacted Knauf and they are out of stock of any calsil, but they do have perlite blocks. Here's the specs:

https://tps-industrial-insulations.c...Sheet-7-20.pdf

Seems like this would work just as well as calsil, and it's a lot more affordable.

Comment

The compression strength is just fine (note Russell's UtahBeehiver advice in post #11 ). I don't know about the thermal conductivity of that particular product. But, it takes abaot 4" of v or pcrete @ a 5 to 1 ratio to equal the effectveness of 2" of CalSil.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was told the thermal conductivity equals and maybe is better than calsil. I'm gonna go ahead and use this instead of calsil since I'm in a time crunch to get the oven casted before cold weather moves in.

Comment

So I've begun gathering the materials to begin casting the dome hopefully next weekend. Here's the quantity I've come up with based on other's that they've used, so I want to check and make sure it seems right. This is for a dome that will be 16" in height, 30" cooking floor, and a vent landing (and door opening) that's 18" W x 11" height x 9" deep:

For the dome:
            2 X 60 LBS Cement
            1 X 50 LB Hydrated Lime
            1 X 50 LB Fireclay (already have bags of it in my garage)
            Sand - I have a pile of sand on my property so I don't have to worry about purchasing a set amount
            6 LBS Stainless steel 1" refractory reinforcing needles
            2 LBS Polypropylene reinforcing fibers

For the insulation layers around dome:
            8 cu. ft. vermiculite (sold in bags of 4 cu. ft.)
            2 X 60 LBS Cement (this seems low)
            24 ft. of ceramic blanket

Sound right? I have to order some materials so I want to make sure I have enough instead of waiting around more if I need to reorder.

I am also going to cast an arch because I came across this post and like the look of it. Looks like he just used all concrete to make the arch unless I missed something. Is that okay? Does it need to be a mix of refractory to handle heat coming out of the oven?

Comment

I can't help you much on casting. david s is the forum expert on cast ovens. But, Nick J C and his 32" oven build that you linked above should be able to give you a very close idea of the amount of material needed for your build. However, I would like to ask you about the "2 X 60 LBS Cement". The most common bag size for portland "cement" is 94 lbs. 60 lbs is a very common size for bagged "concrete". Searching one term on the net will bring up both, but there is a critical difference. Portland cement is just that, portland cement. Concrete is portland cement with the sand and aggreagate added. You probably know the difference already but, I have learned on this forum not to assume too much!
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yea, I am familiar with the difference. I just assumed they were sold in the same size bags.

Comment

Working...
                X