Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does chimney pipe NEED to be double walled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does chimney pipe NEED to be double walled?

I can't seem to find a conclusion or reason on this. If I use a 6" black chimney pipe, the ones Home Depot and regular hardware stores, is this good enough? I won't be surrounding it with brick, the steel pipe is the finished look, so does it need to be the double layer expensive stainless steel things?
    thanks all.
    Buzz

Maybe some one more experienced will come along and correct me but there's no reason it has to be insulated pipe that I can see. How do you plan on waterproofing the chimney?

Comment

.....does it need to be the double layer expensive stainless steel things?....
      No, as long as it is not near a flammable material.

.......If I use a 6" black chimney pipe, the ones Home Depot and regular hardware stores, is this good enough? .....
      Single walled black pipe will need to be attached in a way that you can replace it very, VERY VERY often! A single wall stainess steel pipe will be more affordable and may be what you need in this case.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

It's not touching anything and no trees near by. I was going to put a raincap on top to keep water out. Hadn't considered other weather issues. I guess that pipe is just painted tin and meant for inside fireplaces? Hadn't thought of that. See, this is why this forum is so important!
        I guess ya'll are meaning it will rust apart in a year?
        It is only 20 bucks, but I guess...do it right, not cheap.

Comment

Working...
        X