Not enough insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough insulation?

Hi guys! So far all of my posts have been mistakes, I guess I never learn...! Anyways, for the hearth, I did a 1:1 of cement perlite for 2inches and a 3:1 for another 2in. I realized this was totally whack, but too late I already mortared my base down. Am I screwed?

That is a bummer! This one is not as easy to answer as when you were worried about crayon marks. I apologize for assuming that you had been following some builds on the forum. I also apologize for not asking if you had downloaded the Forno Bravo plans. Please do both.

For now, start trying to remove the floor brick. The longer that you wait, the more difficult they will be to clean.
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-03-2020, 09:42 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      That is a bummer! This one is not as easy to answer as when you were worried about crayon marks. I apologize for assuming that you had been following some builds on the forum. I also apologize for not asking if you had downloaded the Forno Bravo plans. Please do both.

For now, start trying to remove the floor brick. The longer that you wait, the more difficult they will be to clean.
      Gulf! No reason at all to apologize! This is not at all your fault!! Thank you for your concern and help. Additionally, I’ve thought of some other ways to solve and I thank you for your kind help!

Comment

.... I’ve thought of some other ways to solve.....
        Can you elaborate a lttle on that? Our goal here is to help everyone get the best possible oven for their particular need based on their resources. Please include some pics of what you have done so far. Many times the pics help us fully understand the terminology being used. The phrase "a picture is wirth a thousand words" has been used on this forum countless times. I am sure that it will be used many times more.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Can you elaborate a lttle on that? Our goal here is to help everyone get the best possible oven for their particular need based on their resources. Please include some pics of what you have done so far. Many times the pics help us fully understand the terminology being used. The phrase "a picture is wirth a thousand words" has been used on this forum countless times. I am sure that it will be used many times more.
          Definitely! Sorry for the late reply. To expand on my thoughts, I’m just going with it, I tried and it would of taken weeks it was as dry as the Arizona desert....I will let you know how bad it insulates! I am also thinking of adding a support beam in the middle, or I could add an additional layer of perlite if it’s turns out I need to, than a support beam. Because the left and right have a lot of thermal mass.

The forno plans helped me a lot. However , for the top insulation, is a higher density blanket better? Will this work?http://skylinecomponents.com/In-Stoc...erblanket.html

I will try to include a picture, it keeps giving me errors when uploading it.
          Thank you for your help!

Comment

The Material Data Sheet that I have linked is what is needed to make that decision and it compares the two choices. I'll let the our great team of engineers ( UtahBeehiver, JRPizza, et al ) look at that for you. But, don't cover it permanently with stucco just yet. You should be able to reuse it if something else goes wrong structurally with your build. You mentioned a "support beam" ? Does that have something to do with your entry and flue. Because I fear that it will fail structurally.

Comment

The Material Data Sheet that I have linked is what is needed to make that decision and it compares the two choices. I'll let the our great team of engineers ( UtahBeehiver, JRPizza, et al ) look at that for you. But, don't cover it permanently with stucco just yet. You should be able to reuse it if something else goes wrong structurally with your build. You mentioned a "support beam" ? Does that have something to do with your entry and flue. Because I fear that it will fail structurally.
              Thank you so much for your wisdom! The support beam im speaking of is actually by the wood, just for extra support for the base. Probably not needed! The entry/flu has that big brick on the top and that is not actually going to be there, it’s not mortared one and was just put there for something I can’t remember. I’m guessing it will withhold or else I can make it smaller and add in some sort of support there. I also read the data sheet and i couldn’t understand it! Hopefully they could expand and help us out! Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
              X