Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent Outer Arch Question (with pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Outer Arch Question (with pictures)

Hi All,
    first, thank you for all your help thus far. The work on my dome is moving along, unfortunately as I'm doing everything by myself I seldom have the opportunity to take photos. I do promise to do a photos/lessons learned post when it's all over.
    Today I do need your opinion urgently regarding the outer arch, which is next on the schedule. So far I had envisioned it to have a single brick wall ( see the Original Design.png attached). As I just finished the dome I started considering doubling the wall ( see the rest of the attachments for a visual) to ensure that the arch will be able to carry the weight of the flue. I should have tied the inner arch ( the one that crosscuts the dome to the outer with a couple of bricks but it's too late now. Here are my questions to you:
    1. Should I double the wall of the arch?
    2. If I were to double the wall should I insulate it with the Ceramic Fiber blanket and Perlite of should I leave it as is?

Thank you in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6964_Rev.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	431567 for your input.

All best,
    GMS
    Attached Files

It took me a minute to figure out by "doubling the wall" you were talking about buttressing your arch. With the non-hemispherical arch you have chosen I believe most builders do buttress the arch to handle the side loads. My arch was a semi-circle so I didn't think I needed to add additional support, but if you search for "buttress" you will find lots of discussion and some pics to see what others have done. Either way I don't think you need to insulate the vent, especially if you are going with the igloo look. If you build a dog-house style enclosure the vent will be surrounded and insulation could be added without changing the look but probably still not needed.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thank you, JRPizza.
      I thought my images would compensate for my lack of jargon.

Your quick input was very valuable.

Comment

Working...
      X