Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    NCMan
    Great Choice! A side by side eliminates the main problem in designig a combo. The smoke chamber. There is no room to incorporate a proper one in to the fireplace of a stacked design. A smoke chamber is a must for proper draw in any fireplace design. Imo a Rumford style fireplace works better for an outside fireplace.( I'm not talking about the Buckley Rumford Company. I'm talking about the original design by Count Rumford) . They throw more radiant heat to the front as well as to the sides which is what I want to keep folks from crowding the fireplace opening on cooler days. A Rumford fireplace style opening is taller than a typical fireplace.(that alone would make it dificult to install in a stacked design) It is also shallower and the sidewalls have more of an angle. That is what makes them better. Radiant heat is all that you get from an outside fireplace. You can't heat the neighborhood or even the backyard no matter how hard you try. Mine is separated from the oven by some distance. It is a simplified version of the original design. It has no damper. no smoke shelf, and the chimney/flue sets directly on top of where the fire is built. The draw that is created is all that I could ever hope for. For a side by side with a Rumford style fireplace, it would be great to have a very small fire in one while cooking on the colder days to keep warm. But, I would wait until the cooking is done to ramp the fire up .
    My thoughts exactly, Joe. Can you post a picture showing both? Hope all is well for you. I was hoping to get started w/mine before the cold set in here in the mountains, but now plan on doing some of the base/block work this winter as the weather allows and crank it into high gear in the early spring. My plan is for a small (32") Rumsford w/a twisted chimney, next to a 42" Pompeii, also w/a twisted chimney. Twisted Sisters, if you may.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I may have misled you in my post. I don't have a side by side. That is just what I recommend over a stacked design. My oven and fireplace are some distance apart. However, I do have some expeience with standing to the side of the Rumford style fireplace. They do put out a lot of radiant heat in a very wide radius. Below is an old photo showing the two and their proximity to each other. I do a little hearth cooking in the fireplace as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	860.6 KB
ID:	433712

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        I may have misled you in my post. I don't have a side by side. That is just what I recommend over a stacked design. My oven and fireplace are some distance apart. However, I do have some expeience with standing to the side of the Rumford style fireplace. They do put out a lot of radiant heat in a very wide radius. Below is an old photo showing the two and their proximity to each other. I do a little hearth cooking in the fireplace as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	860.6 KB
ID:	433712

Oh, ok. You didn't mislead me, I just read it wrong, now that I go back to it. I do plan to have a wood storage area between the two w/some concrete counter top area as a small work station between mine. So, all told, there will be around 8-10 feet of linear separation between the two. Right now, the plans are just in my head, based on the amount of space I have. I do plan to have them both fired up at the same time frequently, so I agree w/the need for that space. Thanks. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. I'll start one up when I get to scratching around.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
        X