Advice On Small Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice On Small Oven Build

My husband and I are about to build a pizza oven alongside our deck. We are trying to decide on the size. Currently there is a 36" wide space (which we could enlarge though it would be effortful) and we're wondering if a 21" diameter oven like your's david s would fit. What is the finished size of your 21" diameter oven including the foundation? Is it an igloo on a rectangular base?
    Last edited by Gulf; 12-29-2020, 05:04 PM.

david s , I edited this thread yesterday. I'm not sure that my editl generated a forum notification. So, here goes a "bump"
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Mine is on a square base 910 x 910 mm. The front and back are flush with the supporting slab edges while the sides are 15 mm inside. I have made the flue gallery very shallow for better access. Most ovens end up at least 20% longer than they are wide to accomodate the flue gallery.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks, David S, that sounds about the size we want though we have extra depth so we can have as big a flue gallery as we want. We're thinking of casting the foundation 3ft wide by 4ft deep. Does this sound reasonable? We are also thinking of having a cantilevered space out in front of the oven but we're not sure how to do that. Any advice?

Comment

The requirement for foundations varies depending on location, slope, soil type etc. I usually pour a slab the same size as my supporting slab and make it 100mm thick with steel reinforcing.
          The usual method is to build formwork around the piers and pour a slab into it. For my build I supply a one piece precast slab (two man lift) that keys into the cores of the piers.

Comment

So we've now built the platform for our oven and we're ready to start the next phase. We need to decide how big the oven opening should be. We are thinking maybe 12-14" and we're not sure how tall we should go for a dome that is only 10.5" high (the oven diameter will be 21"). What would you recommend?

Also while we're on it, do you have a position on the debate between ceramic FB vs CaSi for insulation under the floor?

Comment

I am planning to build a stove 120 centimeters in diameter. I really want to hope that something about 24 inches will turn out inside. Although my calculations may not be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
                So we've now built the platform for our oven and we're ready to start the next phase. We need to decide how big the oven opening should be. We are thinking maybe 12-14" and we're not sure how tall we should go for a dome that is only 10.5" high (the oven diameter will be 21"). What would you recommend?

Also while we're on it, do you have a position on the debate between ceramic FB vs CaSi for insulation under the floor?
                My oven is 21" internal diameter, with an oven mouth 6.25" high and 14" wide. The flue gallery and outer decorative arch are 7" high and 16" wide. The oven has a 5" diameter stainless flue pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy_W View Post
                  I am planning to build a stove 120 centimeters in diameter. I really want to hope that something about 24 inches will turn out inside. Although my calculations may not be correct.
                  Are you building a stove or an oven? If it's an oven what design are you using?

Comment

Thanks, David S. for sharing the dimensions of your oven. That helps us a lot. We have decided to go slightly larger: internal diameter of 24", with an oven mouth of 7.5" high and 14" wide. We are thinking of a 6" double-walled metal flue but we haven't yet figured out how you attach the top of the metal plate to the top of the brick arch. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

Are you building a stove or an oven? If it's an oven what design are you using?
                      Sorry, I made a reservation. I build the oven for baking. Designed a Pompeian oven, but I don't know what exactly will turn out. In general, it would be interesting to have a Russian stove. But to build it, you need a lot of skill. So far, this is a dream.

Comment

Working...
                      X