Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting on the right track

Hi all

I wrote a slightly longer post in the materials thread earlier in the week but nobody has offered up any advice yet so thought I’d try my luck in here.

I won’t duplicate the full post but just in summary, I’m struggling to get my head around the type/ amount of mortar/ cement that I’m going to need for the oven build. Because I’m likely to get it from a single supplier with minimum spend for shipping, ideally I want to place one single order and get everything rather than having to duplicate payment of the very high shipping fees that will come with having to buy more refractory materials later if I don’t get it right.

I’m building a Pompeii oven, 38” cooking floor, first course on the cooking floor. 3” CFB on a concrete hearth (NB. I read an interesting post yesterday about weep holes and a layer of small tiles between hearth and CFB that I think I will try and incorporate those tips) and 3” fibre blanket for dome insulation.

So, as I think about ordering my refractory materials, I think I’ve got a good handle on the number of bricks I’ll need, the CFB, the blankets, the wire but I’m just a bit stuck on 2 things:
    1. The amount of refractory mortar for the dome build (someone who sells it suggests 3 or 4 x 25kg Wet Air Setting Refractory Cement for this job)
    2. The amount of cement I will need for the render that will go over the blanket/ chicken wire. Again, someone who sells it suggests 6-8 bags of what he calls Light Weight Insulating Castable for this – but also suggests that it isn’t totally weatherproof, which then gives me concern that I actually need something else which I apply as a final render ON TOP OF this layer. And that that layer wouldn’t be a refractory product but just a standard weatherproof mortar. Now, I’m not sure whether he is just cautiously letting me know that all heat resistant concrete is susceptible to the elements and so I should try and protect it.

I’m a little confused.

I’m committed to the fact that there is clearly a significant outlay to get the right materials for the job but I just want to make sure that I don’t waste hundreds of £’s buying the wrong thing and then having to correct the mistake later/ or worse, do damage to the oven.

Anyway, you folks are the experts on this so I’d appreciate a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

Much appreciated

An anxious first timer!

I suggest you look at Nick JC cast build from the UK he did a great job and had a lot of info on materials calcs.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
    X