Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I grind areas inside my dome that are uneven or will the vibration crack the dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I grind areas inside my dome that are uneven or will the vibration crack the dome

Now that I am getting finished with the dome I noticed that I was not very careful with the home-brew and some bricks slipped a bit. I was thinking of taking a grinder to the inside of the dome to even the bricks up a bit and grind off some home brew crud.
    If yes any suggestion on best cheep grinder. Like a harbor freight grinder and wheel?

RickJay, I was just grinding the inside of my dome a few days ago. It's messy for sure! But certainly do-able and typically necessary for what I have seen. There are many posts on here where people reference hitting up the inside of the dome with their grinders. And many posts actually have pics of said builders, lower torso sticking out of the opening while hard at work, to prove it. :-) Needless to say, if you decide to crawl inside and do this, a mask and goggles are a must!

My oven opening isn't wide enough for me to crawl in, but what happened to me was my last course before the plug got set about a half inch lower than the plug and previous course. Most disappointing that I did this, however due to having a board set-up at the final course, I had no visibility from below to know. Anyway, out came the grinder and I reached in with one arm and hit the bricks best I could with my glasses fogging up the entire time. Biggest issue was the grinder would catch on whatever, and without having 2 hands to steady it much of the time I was grinding areas I didn't want to grind. But, I knocked enough down as to where it came out looking "acceptable" and even gave it a weathered/rustic look to boot!

I have a 4.5" grinder.. just a ryobi from their set. But I did pick up a few diamond tip grinder wheels to put on it. It cuts through the firebrick like butter and makes easy work of it. I'd imagine any grinder would do if you're just trying to get some high points knocked down. A few bucks on a diamond wheel from HD and you'll be fine. There may be a better wheel for knocking down mortar (if you're not looking to grind the bricks, that is..) but I would ask the forum about this. I have found the bricks are MUCH easier to grind than the mortar. The home-brew has quite a bit of hardness to it after it sets..

Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you so much,
      I was so sad when I took off my inner arch form and saw the bricks had sagged a bit and some careless mortar that dripped down.
      I am able to just barely get my torso in the oven so I’m gonna try it. I have a respirator and I just need to find a way to try and dampen the bricks as I grind. I am thinking of using a pump sprayer and setting it to mist.

thanks again

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Ope-dog View Post
        RickJay, I was just grinding the inside of my dome a few days ago. It's messy for sure! But certainly do-able and typically necessary for what I have seen. There are many posts on here where people reference hitting up the inside of the dome with their grinders. And many posts actually have pics of said builders, lower torso sticking out of the opening while hard at work, to prove it. :-) Needless to say, if you decide to crawl inside and do this, a mask and goggles are a must!

My oven opening isn't wide enough for me to crawl in, but what happened to me was my last course before the plug got set about a half inch lower than the plug and previous course. Most disappointing that I did this, however due to having a board set-up at the final course, I had no visibility from below to know. Anyway, out came the grinder and I reached in with one arm and hit the bricks best I could with my glasses fogging up the entire time. Biggest issue was the grinder would catch on whatever, and without having 2 hands to steady it much of the time I was grinding areas I didn't want to grind. But, I knocked enough down as to where it came out looking "acceptable" and even gave it a weathered/rustic look to boot!

I have a 4.5" grinder.. just a ryobi from their set. But I did pick up a few diamond tip grinder wheels to put on it. It cuts through the firebrick like butter and makes easy work of it. I'd imagine any grinder would do if you're just trying to get some high points knocked down. A few bucks on a diamond wheel from HD and you'll be fine. There may be a better wheel for knocking down mortar (if you're not looking to grind the bricks, that is..) but I would ask the forum about this. I have found the bricks are MUCH easier to grind than the mortar. The home-brew has quite a bit of hardness to it after it sets..

Good Luck!
        Use a diamond blade for cutting and a masonry grinding disc for grinding.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X