newbie firebrick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie firebrick question

Question: I am not sure if anyone is familiar with Craigslist but locally a gentlemen is selling "firebrick" for .99 cents each. From my reading throughout the forum, it sounds like a great price. All he says is the listing is the size...4" x 9" x 1.25". Any questions i should ask about what type etc...I think this is a sign to start my oven!!!:

One more question, if i was going to build a 42" oven, approximately how many bricks would i need??? Have not gotten to designing but i want to snap up these bricks since it seems like a great deal!! Thanks in advance
    Last edited by woodhead; 06-10-2008, 04:48 PM.

Re: newbie firebrick question

Noob here too. As far as how many bricks, the instructions say about 200 for a 42" oven. Approx 65 for the floor and 135 for the dome. As to questions to ask, sorry, can't help much there. I'm still learning tons myself.

I'm looking too on CL. Are these bricks new or used? I can get them new for $1.25ea., but them still have to pay tax. So if new, not too bad a deal, but maybe call some masonry supply places local to you if you haven't yet. I know the price varies from place to place, so I don't know what the retail price is for your area.

Best of luck!

Comment

Woodhead,

These bricks are only half the thickness of the standard sized firebrick most are using for the oven construction (2.5").
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick reply! That sux that the bricks are only 1/2 the nominal size. Oh well, guess i will have to go the conventional route. I appreciate your help!!

Comment

Good eye mfiore, didn't even see that. I guess it's all a moot point then

Comment

Yeah, Splits are the same price as full sized bricks around here: go figure. They are too thin for the floor, and it would take twice as many to build the dome.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I agree,

I would pick a 4-6 splits. I did find uses for them here and there...

Dick

Comment

woodhead, FYI, I had no brick work experience when I started, and I used approximately 280 firebrick to build the 42" Pompeii. I think because of my lack of experience, I probably used more than most, as I made several mistakes, and had to rebuild arches several times.
                "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Working...
                X