imperial question - inch confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imperial question - inch confusion

Something that does my head in for a metric guy like myself is the imperial system.
    Whole inches I can understand, but let's say a measurement in the plan says 1.7" - How do I get the correct measurement?
    My ruler has 8 and 16 substeps like attached picture. It seems wrong to just count 1" and 7 substeps (or whatever its called) ? If the plan wrote 1" 7/8 I would get it, but I assume its not the same? Sorry, I iz confused
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2564-09-04 at 09.46.27.png
Views:	255
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	441402
    You give Americans an inch...

And they'll invent their own metric system..

It's called decimal inches. We used them at Boeing and just have special rulers that have tenths and hundreds of an inch increments. Very common in machining too. You just need a better ruler . You can also do a web search for decimal to fraction conversion charts and go that way.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
      It's called decimal inches. We used them at Boeing and just have special rulers that have tenths and hundreds of an inch increments. Very common in machining too. You just need a better ruler . You can also do a web search for decimal to fraction conversion charts and go that way.
      Haha, alright I see - thanks for that information. I can't find one of those rulers here I reckon so I guess I will have to do a number crunch every time lol
      You give Americans an inch...

And they'll invent their own metric system..

Comment

Fortunately for most of the oven building there is very little difference between 1.7 and 1 3/4.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
        X