Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another firebrick question!

Hi All,
    I have come across some second hand firebricks at a brickyard. Are there any issues with using used firebricks that I need to bear in mind when purchasing, other than making sure they are 'structurally sound'?

Does it matter what the bricks came out of? Could they have 'absorbed' any chemicals as part of their previous life?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheerio,

Mark

Re: Yet another firebrick question!

I have many used firebrick and im gonna use them, i have heard they are fine to use. What did they come out of?

Comment

You have nothing to worry about except heavy metals. If they came out of a blast furnace or smelter you might have a problem. Most used firebrick came out of ordinary boilers and should be fine.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks Fireandflames,

The guy just said they were from a 'kiln' so I'm not really sure. I would think that they should be OK but thought that those with greater knowledge than mine could provide some advice!

Cheerio,

Mark

Comment

Remember that for your dome you will likely cut a new face for all the bricks you will see (most anyway) so the old firebrick faces can all be buried in the dome mass. I bought new bricks for the hearth floor and will recycle old bricks for the dome and insulation layers.
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Modern kilns are made from insulating firebrick. If the bricks are light, porous, and easily dented, they are good for insulation, not for your dome or cooking floor.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
            X