Approximate Building Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approximate Building Costs

Just getting started in the process of gathing information and inspiration for building my oven. I was wondering if anyone has kept records of material costs of building their ovens and if so approximately how much has been invested?

Thanks.

Expenses include tools and extra large slab, etc.

(M) Before you get frightened away by the large TOTAL expense, you need to know that several expenses I included may not apply to you. For example, I included the cost of the angle grinder, the small tile saw, some labor costs such as a machine leveling of the ground in preparation for an extra large (10' x 10') slab, the extra cost of having the concrete delivered, the extra cost of a super strong mixture, a custom built chimney cap, etc.

(M) Also, I am in the process of building a modest outdoor kitchen on the same slab which has electrical outlets and a cheap but attractive used sink.

(M) My TOTAL cost to date is about $1,900 but if you were to construct just the oven on a 6' x 7' slab, I'm sure you could do it for $1,500. Also, note that I have the following left over materials: 40+ bricks at about $1.10 each, and 2 bags of fire clay (I really over estimated there). But, I will still need to add a metal roof for about $150, some hand made tools for perhaps $50, and I hope to add some decorative tile such as a Listello trim.

(M) I'm not surprised at the cost; I made many mistakes, but I am still having fun with the process and I haven't even baked a pizza yet, though I've had 3 modest test firings.

(M) Go for it!

Ciao,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Building costs - RADO style

Hi

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and have just partly finished building a RADO Masterly Tail using second hand materials.

In Adelaide, the MT would have cost me AUD$2,500 to buy the materials new.
      I have built it for AUD$800. I could have saved more money by mixing the
      concrete from sand/gravel/cement instead of buying the premixed bags. The
      concrete, cement, lime and reinforcing steel are the only things I have paid
      retail for. The firebricks came from a Kiln that was pulled down 25 years
      ago and stored in the demolishers back yard (AUD$0.70 v AUD$4.00), the
      bricks for the outside from EBAY (700 for AUD$40 vs. AUD$1.00 each), the
      wood for form work and arch templates was collected from scrap at no cost.

I have still to construct the roof and chimney and I will have to buy some more bricks to complete this section

Comment

Working...
      X