Using pizza oven as a heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using pizza oven as a heater

Hi, I'm in the design stage of my oven build, getting some great tips from here.I was wondering if anyone has ever used their oven for heating as well as cooking? As I'm building seating area next to the oven and it's cold more than its hot where I live...

(Removed Youtube link-SableSprings, Moderator)

I saw this and was thinking I could use the technique in an oven, running a pipe along the back wall and into the seating area so it draws cold air in from outside the oven, gets heated up by the fire and sends it to seating area???

Anyone tried this? Would it work? Or would I loose too much heat/loose thermal efficiency of the oven?

Any advice cheers
    Last edited by SableSprings; 03-09-2022, 11:32 AM.

Welcome to the forum Nobbychee! I removed your Youtube link as it wasn't working and I couldn't verify it as "non-commercial".

As to your question, I believe there have been a few builds here that have attempted to use the oven for heating other areas, but I don't remember much success. Routing pipe by the oven's back wall would certainly heat the air in the pipe, but I'm pretty sure you would need either an inline fan or have the seating area located above that section of the pipe to get airflow. We've also had some builders attempt to pre-heat water or use a water recirculation system to reclaim more heat from the oven. I personally believe trying to incorporate the oven into a heated seating system would not be worth the effort and would most probably involve a lot of planning/building engineering to get it functioning. I think I'd be looking at either an enclosure to shelter your guests or pillows to sit on with lap blankets provided.

But if you decide to try it, please create a thread and let the forum community learn from your efforts. I suspect you'll get more comments on this and I hope someone has some more positive options for you.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes sorry, figured a first post with a you tube link wouldn't go down well, it was just a guy who heated a tent with a log candle and some steel pipe.
      I might be being too ambitious for my first build but thanks for the informative reply

Comment

Simpler methods would be to design the oven with a wider mouth and or less dome insulation, although both of these would result in higher heat loss at the expense of reducing retained heat cooking time.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X