Firebricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebricks

greeting, new member to this forum and new wood pizza oven builder. I have found a firebrick at Mutual material simply called "firebrick".

it is described as follow "... manufactured to comply with the physical properties and characteristics specified by ASTM C 1261, Standard Specification for Firebox Brick for Residential Fireplaces. They are specifically designed for use in wood inserts or stoves and are not meant for exposed outdoor use, veneer wall or horizontal paving applications. Mutual Materials firebrick is manufactured from a special blend of clay and shale to produce a hard-fired refractory brick capable of resisting the heat produced in a common fireplace. Maximum recommended temperature: 2700° F."

have you used this firebrick and does it work for an outdoor pizza oven?

The material is just fine. However, all that I found on their site was splits.(1/2 the thickness of a standard firebrick) You will want to find a brickyard that sells directly to contractors and brick layers to find what you need.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

thank you for weighing in. much appreciated! they carry the full bricks (2.5" thick) in addition to the splits (1.5" thick).
      link to Mutual Materials firebrick: https://www.mutualmaterials.com/wp-c...Sheet-2019.pdf

Comment

That's about right on the weight for a 20+(ish) Alumina content fire brick, which is the standard for the fireboxes of residential fireplaces. However, I advise folks to price match fire brick. Many, what I call, "fireplace stores" will be a lot more expensive than those outlets that sell to contractors and brick masons. Those fireplace stores are catering to DIYers. I know nothing about this particular business or you area.

Caveat Emptor
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

thank you, this is very helpful. how about the fireboard for the base? is this a good product? please let me know your thoughts? can i stack 2 or 3 layers to build the thickness to 2" or 3"? do i need anything in between the layers for bonding?

Aluminosilicate Refractory Ceramic Fiber Board measures 1” X 18” X 24” in size.
          • Maximum Use Temperature: 2300 F (1260 C) | Density: 20-24 lb/ft³
          • Compressive Strength at 25% deformation - 78 PSI, Permanent Linier Shrinkage - 3.5% Max at 2200 F when exposed to 24 hours soaking heat, Loss of Ignition(LOI) at 1832 F : 4-7

Comment

Fairly high compression amount. Should be looking at about 70-75 psi at "5"% compression. AlSi is a comparable product to CaSi it is just this particular board you show is somewhat soft.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

thank you for the feedback. what do you think of this product for the fire board?

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/gl...mo-1200_DS.pdf

Comment

also kindly weigh in on this product for the dome refractory mortar.

https://ssfbs.com/wp-content/uploads...06/SAIRSET.pdf

Comment

One of its drawbacks, apart from price is that only thin joints (up to 1/16”) are recommended.I believe that this is probably due to the fact that it contains no burnout fibres. With the general method of building a firebrick oven that requires a variable joint thickness (huge on the outside), most builders have opted for the far cheaper and user friendly homebrew.

Canadian Forge - Sairset 3000
                  Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-07-2022, 01:49 PM. Reason: Adjusted hyperlink
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

refreshing this post, i have an opportunity to procure these boards tomorrow if they are the correct ones. please let me know your thoughts on this product for a fireboard.
                    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-07-2022, 01:47 PM. Reason: removed commercial link

Comment

Working...
                    X