Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a backyard dome oven in Ohio (documenting it on YouTube)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a backyard dome oven in Ohio (documenting it on YouTube)

Finding this forum was a huge help, as I almost walked right into some dumb mistakes. I’m going to create this thread to share pictures and ideas. I’m also putting the entire build on YouTube. One video so far (building the stand). Please subscribe to hear when the next video is out (next video will be outer brick, storage archway, and vermicrete layer). Interested in any and all feedback!

https://youtube.com/@Thingsyourhouseneeds

It’s a very rewarding project. I am in Cleveland and built a 36” oven finished early 2017.
    Unfortunately ran into a legal issue with a neighbor but was finally resolved in court in favor of the oven and us.
    it is interesting about the weep holes ( my build may have been pre weep holes) without calving how do you avoid moisture infiltration from underneath?
    well good luck on your build you will love the results.

Comment

I have a mason coming over on March 3rd. Going to pay them $100 just for their time and consultation.

My questions are:
      1.) do I need a space between the outer decorative bricks and the concrete block, or can they be mortared right to the block?
      2.) do I need to use ties if it’s mortared right to the block?
      3.) how do I go about ordering brick, and being confident that it will look like the actual sample,
      4.) anything else they can tell me about pitfalls and risks.

I’m gonna offer to link to her on my YouTube, hoping she might give me more advice for free down the road.

Comment

I plan on having this oven covered at all times when not in use. I don’t think I need to worry about moisture coming up from the bottom (but who knows). I was planning to put random tiles under the vermicrete as a spacer, and drill holes in the concrete to let anything that gets under the vermicrete drain out.

Comment

You can backfill the space with mortar on each course after the brick has set for a few minutes.

I found it easier on short spans like an oven stand to not use wall ties. They can be difficult to get right when attaching brick to block. What I have started doing is to use long Tapcon screws. The long screw is set firmly in to the block and reaches about half way into the brick's mortar joint. It's best to drill the hole in the block at an intersection of the brick bed and head joints. A long masonry bit will make this job easier. If not, just measure above one course and pre drill the hole. You will only need a few near the wood storage opening and near the top of the stand.

No one can be sure from a small sample of brick. Ask for pictures or locations of jobs completed with your choice of brick.

One thing that most don't realize is the different sizes and shapes of bricks that are available. You may like a choice that is only available in a queen size. The out side corner brick of a queen will have to have 7/8" cut to make the joints line up correctly. They are also only 2 and 3/4 thick. Ask for only standard size brick.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X