Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foil-Faced Ceramic Blanket: Which Side Up for Dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foil-Faced Ceramic Blanket: Which Side Up for Dome?

New builder here, re-building an old “Round Boy” oven. I recognize this is primarily a Neapolitan forum, but there’s lots of talent and advice here. It’s a pretty straightforward pre-cast modular half-barrel design, made so no piece weighs more than 75 lbs. It sits on a welded steel rack. The first pieces are two pre-cast base plates. They’re 1-1/2” thick, and they’re cracked, pretty much in a pattern under the load. So I want to replace them. Is 1-1/2” bluestone adequate? Next, I want to supplement the existing insulation. There is no insulation under the firebricks: they sit directly on those cracked plates. So I want to replace the cracked plates with the bluestone; add 1” of ceramic fiber board, and put the firebricks directly on the CFB. I think the advice is, that 2” is minimum, but I figure any insulation beats none, and i got a good deal on the 1” CFB, but don’t have enough for two layers. I also gather I shouldn’t cover or wrap the CFB with foil, so moisture (which WILL get in) can get out.

Next, I want to add another, additional layer of ceramic blanket on top of the dome/barrel. I see I can get it foil-faced. My plan is to use the new, presumably more effective, foil-faced blanket directly against the dome/barrel, and then put the older blanket on top of that. My question is, should the foil side be directly against the dome/barrel, i.e. foil down? Or up, so it’s (from the inside, working outward) dome/barrel; then new CB, then new CB foil, then old CB? Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Wrsteinesq,

Welcome to the forum. The foil is going to melt if it is placed directly against the dome. It would be best if you could peel the foil off the insulation. I haven’t any experience with foiled CF blanket but I have removed paper barrier from insulation by fileting it of with a machete before installation.. If that doesn't seem to be possible, poke a gazillion holes in it after installation.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
    X