Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brick Oven photos 6/08

Jim Bob,
    I've found that a 2 stoke fire will heat the oven to 500 degrees. Just right for breads. Or you can pre-heat the day before and get away with a 2 hour stoke.
    ORB II

Comment

Jim Bob

I wouldn't sweat the vermiculite layer too much. some minor chipping is normal. And that insulation damage is a long way from the oven!

If you're really worried, I would have the mason stucco the edges to protect them or put back your wood forms. Either approach should help keep it together. It's probably a little stronger every day too!

Good luck, Jim

Nice smoker!

I'm a preheater by hte way....I like to start the soaking the day before....
      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Leaving your form on the vermiculite layer would be another good addition to the plans in my book! Why take it off until you need to?
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Jim,
          Thanks for the prompt reply. I think you are correct about the forms. I was just anxious to see what it was going to look like and had them removed! The other thing I think needs to be in the specs is a couple of alternatives to covering the very ragged looking front edge with either decorative stone, ceramic tile, additional concrete layer, or possibly brick if it can be supported. All this especially if there is a cantilevered edge that will stick out.
          I am planning to have a walled brick enclosure over the oven.
          One more question, how did you or should you attach the insulfrax to the oven? I think the specs called for metal straps, but can the average homeowner obtain these straps and the equipment to tighten it down?
          Thanks again,
          Jim Bob

Comment

Jim,
            Just a thought-
            One other idea that Drake mentioned above to include in the specs: If you are planning a walled enclosure, it is recommended that you install Jbolts directly in the slab as it is being poured to anchor the walled structure above later. Of course they may be a pain in the butt while you are working on the oven itself. Don't want anyone impaling themselves on the bolts. I obviously did not do this on my slab, but will solve that problem later when I come to it.
            Jim Bob

Comment

Working...
            X