A Small Oven to Meet My Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Small Oven to Meet My Needs

I’ve read all the many threads here about oven size. My take from those reads is 'bigger is better'. My needs are primarily pizza with an occasional seared steak and roasting veggies in cast iron pans. I’ve used WFOs before and the one thing I don’t want is an oven that takes 3-4 hrs to come up to 7-800°. I want a fuel efficient WFO that can hit temperature in 1 to 1-1/2 hours tops. Prep and cook the meal and be done. Don’t care about long term heat retention. Do care about maintaining temps for the hour or so I’d be cooking. Don’t care if I can fit a turkey or roast.

For size, I’m leaning towards a 28” castable with a lower dome height of 12”. A hybrid between Pompeii and Naples designs which castable makes possible without buttressing. I understand the issues of smaller size means smaller fire, room to work, etc. When I layout a 28” floor and consider fire space it leaves enough room to fit a 12” pizza or iron pan just fine IMO. I know the pizza will be closer to the fire and it takes more attention. I’ve used Ooni ovens which are tiny and cook unevenly so you have to rotate often but it can also produce some very good results with practice. Baking one pie at a time is also fine.

James from FB has said a 31” was the minimum he would suggest, others 36” and yet david s manages with a 21” that he sells commercially. I presume this size fits his customers needs or he wouldn’t be in business for long. Surely small ovens can work. I’ve also seen him defend his size for its efficiency and ability to get cooking quicker which is exactly what I'm looking for. FB also sells 24 and 28” ovens.

Construction would be 4” 5:1 Perlcrete insulating base, 2” FB floor, 2” homebrew refractory, 2” Fiber blanket, 1-1/2” 10:1 Perlcrete, 3/4 render.

So, is there anything inherently wrong with a 28” oven based on my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

Comment

Bigger is not necessarily better. It depends on your needs, type of cooking, etc. I built a 42" and it is definitely a "party oven" but I rarely fire it up to do a couple pizzas. If I were to build another one it would be smaller, ie 36" or so. Less fuel, plenty big for my needs. In any case, the most important issue is good insulation.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Appreciate your insight, Beehive. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X